Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to set up a Chromecast with your phone
Have you just purchased a brand new Chromecast with no clue on how to set it up? Maybe you set it up a long time ago, lost the instructions, and now need to reconnect it. Whatever the reason is, don’t worry — Android Authority is here to help you through the Chromecast setup process.
Read Next: How to use Google Home with Chromecast?
If you haven’t yet purchased a Chromecast, you might want to consider doing so. The base version is only $29.99, and it allows you to beam content from your phone, tablet, and sometimes even a computer, to a TV. Depending on your needs, it could be a full replacement for actual smart TV devices. Some of us here at Android Authority would say it is the best $30 we have spent in a while.
There are two Chromecast versions at this stage; the standard model and the Chromecast with Google TV. Setting up the Chromecast with Google TV adds some extra steps, so we will also go over that process in this article.
Editor’s suggestion: Looking for a whole new TV? Several brands include “Google Cast” technology baked right in. You can check out our favorite HDTVs with Google Cast and Android TV here!
How to set up Chromecast
To get started, plug your Chromecast into your TV’s HDMI input and the USB port on your TV. If there isn’t a free USB port on your TV, go ahead and use the included power adapter to connect the device to an outlet. Next, change your TV’s input channel to the one your Chromecast is connected to.
Okay, before we can set things up, we’re going to need to do a few things on your phone:
- Download the Google Home Android app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Open the app, accept the terms, sign in to your Google account, and follow the instructions.
- The main page should show up after the initial setup is complete.
- Tap Add, then tap on Set up devices, and finally tap Set up new devices once you see your Chromecast appear.
- Confirm which Google Account you want to use for your Chromecast.
- Allow the app to use Location Services, and then tap OK.
- The app should then start scanning for your plugged-in Chromecast. When it shows up on your app screen, tap on Next.
Just a few more steps involving the app and the TV are needed:
- The TV should show a code to confirm the Chromecast is connected to your app. When it does, tap Yes.
- You may be asked to send device stats and crash reports to Google. Tap Yes, I’m in, if you want to, or No thanks if you don’t.
- Next, you can choose the room in your home where the Chromecast is located, or create your own name by tapping on Add custom room and typing out the room name.
- You will now choose a Wi-Fi network for your Chromecast. Go through the necessary steps and then select Set Network.
- Your Chromecast might get some software updates. Just wait.
- The Chromecast device should launch. After this, you are ready to enjoy your Google Cast experience!
Once it’s all set up, compatible applications on your devices should show a Cast icon when connected to the same Wi-Fi network. When watching a YouTube video, hit the Cast icon and select your specific device. The content will show up on your large screen TV, and you can easily control it with your smartphone. Easy as pie!
How to set up Chromecast with Google TV
You need to get started the same way with the Chromecast with Google TV. Plug the device into your TV using the HDMI port and connect the power cable to an outlet. You can also hard-wire using an Ethernet port for better internet performance. Turn your TV on and switch it to the HDMI source you connected the Chromecast to.
Set up Chromecast with Google TV using a phone:
- Connect your phone to the Wi-Fi network you want your Chromecast with Google TV to connect to.
- Download the Google Home Android app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. Open the app, accept the terms, sign into your Google account, and follow the instructions.
- The main page should show up after the initial setup is complete. Tap Add, then tap on Set up devices, and finally tap Set up new devices once you see your Chromecast appear.
- A QR code should appear on the screen; scan it with your phone. Wait for the device to connect.
- Follow instructions and let the Chromecast with Google TV finish the setup.
Set up the remote:
Your remote should set up automatically, but if for some reason it doesn’t, just follow these steps.
- If the remote isn’t set up, you should see a Control volume and power with your Chromecast remote announcement.
- Select Set up remote.
- To configure the volume button, go ahead and select the brand of the device used to play sound.
- The TV should now say You’ll hear music next. Make sure the audio device (TV or speakers) and select Next.
- When you hear the music, point at your device with the remote and try to control the volume.
- The UI will ask you if changing the volume worked. Select Yes or No, try again.
- To configure the power button, just turn the TV off by pressing the power button on your remote. Wait eight seconds and turn it back on.
- The UI will ask you if turning the TV on/off worked. Select Yes or No, try again.
- To configure the input button, point your remote at the TV and try to cycle through input methods. Switch back to the input source your Chromecast is connected to.
- The UI will ask you if the button worked. Select Yes or No, try again.
- The screen should now say Chromecast remote is ready.
Any questions on Chromecast setup issues? Feel free to reach out in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.