Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to cast from an iPhone
Chromecast devices offer one of the best streaming experiences, so we wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one of your top choices for streaming dongles. Apple products don’t commonly play well with non-Apple products, though. iOS users might be wondering if you can cast on a Chromecast from an iPhone. Let’s find out together!
Also read: The best media streaming devices
Can you Chromecast from an iPhone?
You can use a Chromecast using an iPhone and even set it up with an iOS device. The process is nearly identical compared to Android devices. Make sure your iPhone and Chromecast devices are connected to the same network, open the supported app you want to stream, play the content, and find the Chromecast icon. Tap on the icon, and select the device you want to stream to. That's it!
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
Editor’s note: All instructions in this post were put together using an Apple iPhone 12 Mini running iOS 15.6 and a Chromecast with Google TV. Please remember some steps might slightly differ if you use other hardware or software.
Can you Chromecast from an iPhone?
While you may think iPhone devices won’t play nicely with Google Chromecast dongles, these actually work perfectly together. Not only can you use an iPhone to stream content to a Chromecast device, but you can even set one up using the iOS Google Home app. This means you can use your iPhone with a Chromecast device from beginning to end.
There are some software requirements, though. Your iPhone will need to be running at least iOS 14 or later. Additionally, you’ll need an HDMI-capable TV, and a Wi-Fi connection for both devices to access.
The only thing an iPhone can’t officially do is mirror the whole screen to a Chromecast. There are ways to do this with third-party apps, though. More on this later.
Setting up a Chromecast using an iPhone
Let’s get you started with your Chromecast first. If it’s brand new, you’ll need to go through the set-up process, which you can do straight from your iPhone.
- Download the Google Home app on your iPhone. Set it up with your Google account, if you haven’t.
- Plug your Chromecast device into your TV via HDMI, and to an outlet using the included power accessories.
- Let the Chromecast device turn on.
- In the case of the Chromecast with Google TV, you’ll be asked to pair the remote. Press and hold the Back and Home buttons until the remote’s LED lights up.
- Pick your language.
- Now it’s time to go to your iPhone. Open the Google Home app.
- Tap on the + icon.
- Select Set up device.
- Pick New devices.
- Pick your location and hit Next.
- The app will start looking for nearby devices in pairing mode. When it finds the Chromecast, select Next.
- Tap Scan code. Scan the QR code on your TV.
- The iPhone will pair with the Chromecast. Accept all terms and conditions.
- Pick the room your Chromecast will live in. Hit Next.
- Pick the Wi-Fi network you want the Chromecast to connect to, then hit Next again. Let the Chromecast connect to Wi-Fi.
- You’ll be requested to sign into your Google account. Hit Continue on your iPhone.
- Google Home will give you tips, ask you to Allow certain permissions, and help you personalize your experience. Follow instructions.
- That’s it! Your Chromecast is ready to be used. If you have a Chromecast with Google TV, the TV screen will walk you through the process of setting up the remote’s volume and power control for your television. It will also take some time to install apps.
How to Chromecast from an iPhone
Now that your Chromecast device is ready for prime time, it’s time to Chromecast from your iPhone. Here’s how it’s done!
- On your iPhone, find a Google Cast-supported app. In this case, we will use YouTube.
- Find the content you want to cast, and launch it.
- Find the Chromecast icon and tap on it.
- You can select which device to cast to. Pick your Chromecast.
Can you mirror your iPhone screen to Chromecast?
You can natively mirror your screen to Chromecast if you’re using a PC (with Chrome) or an Android device. Sadly, this is the only thing you can’t officially do on Chromecast using an iPhone. As always, though, the developer community is here to help.
Many apps on the Apple App Store will help you mirror your content to a Chromecast device. Our favorite one is Screen Mirror – Smart View Cast. It’s straightforward, works great, and you can use its basic functions for free. Let’s show you how it’s done.
- Download the Screen Mirror – Smart View Cast app from the Apple App Store.
- Launch the app and go through the set-up wizard. It’s pretty self-explanatory.
- Select the Screen Mirroring button.
- Make your selections. Also, tap the Chromecast icon to ensure you’re connected to the right Chromecast device.
- Tap on the Record button to start mirroring.
- A Screen Broadcast window will appear. Select Start Broadcast.
- After a three-second countdown, your iPhone screen will appear on Chromecast-connected TV. You can select Stop Broadcast when you’re done.
iPhones can do anything Android phones can do with Chromecast, except for mirroring the screen. You’ll have to rely on third-party apps to do this.
You can cast to non-Google devices as long as the application supports it. For example, you can cast to Roku devices, but you’ll need to have the app on both devices, and connected to the same network. It’s also possible to cast to Fire TV streamers.
iPhones can handle setting up Chromecast devices using the Google Home app.
iPhones need iOS 14 or newer to use the Google Home app and cast content to Chromecast.