Gamers can really benefit from an Xbox Live Gold subscription. Recurring payments can be a pain, though. Especially those months when you aren’t gaming much, or the budget is tight. Let’s show you how to save some cash and cancel Xbox Live Gold. We’ll also go into how to delete your Xbox Live account for good, if you so choose to. But first let’s find out which steps you want to take next.
Also read: Xbox Series X – Everything you need to know
Free Xbox Live vs Xbox Live Gold
The free version of Xbox Live (previously known as Xbox Live Silver) offers basic support and functionality. Here’s a look at what you can do without paying for a subscription.
Free Xbox Live features:
- Use of all apps, such as Netflix, Microsoft Edge, Skype, and more.
- Create a gamertag.
- Add friends.
- Earn achievements.
- Game previews and beta access.
- Xbox Marketplace access.
- Messages (audio and text) with other Xbox Live users.
Xbox Live Gold features:
- All features from the free version.
- Online gaming.
- Exclusive demos.
- Members-only sales.
- 2-4 free games per month.
- Up to 50% discount on games, add-ons, and more.
- Access to Xbox Live Parties and chat.
Xbox Live Gold costs $9.99 per month, $24.99 for three months, or $59.99 a year. Then there’s also the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription for $14.99 a month. This grants all Xbox Live Gold features plus access to over 100 high-quality console and PC games.
That’s a good amount of cash, so we can understand why you might want to cancel Xbox Live Gold. While the free games and substantial discounts can save gamers money in the long run, some people may not be taking advantage of the subscription enough.
How to cancel Xbox Live Gold subscription
If you are ready to cancel Xbox Live Gold but still want to keep your free account, here’s how to do it.
- Open a browser and go to your Microsoft account.
- Log in using your credentials.
- Click on the Service & subscriptions tab.
- Look for your Xbox Live Gold subscription.
- Select Manage.
- Find Turn off auto-renew and click on it.
- Select Confirm cancellation.
Your Xbox Live Gold subscription will continue for the duration that was already paid for. After that your account will revert back tot he free Xbox Live tier.
How to delete Xbox Live account for good
Maybe you are switching consoles, or no longer gaming, and prefer deleting your Xbox Live account for good. Just keep in mind that in order to do this you will have to close out the Microsoft account the Xbox account is linked to. This means Office 365, Skype, OneDrive cloud storage, and more will go to the trash along with your Xbox profile. If you are using other Microsoft services, you might be better off just letting the free Xbox Live account be.
- Go to Microsoft’s Close your account page.
- Sign into your account.
- Microsoft will ask you to acknowledge a series of statements.
- Read them and check all the boxes.
- Pick the reason for closing your account.
- Click on Mark account for closure.
- Microsoft will delete your account after 60 days.
Want more Xbox content? We got it!