As far as Apple news goes for this week, we’re still coming down off the whirlwind previous week in which we saw the launch of the 2019 iPhone lineup. We have some early sales estimates for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max (spoiler alert: they are good), as well as some newly-leaked info about the upcoming triple-lens camera on the newest iPad Pro.
We also saw some interesting news related to Apple Arcade, a shake-up on Apple’s board of directors, and some news about a new TV show exclusive to Apple TV Plus.
See the Apple news roundup below for all the latest!
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- iPhone 11 series sales are strong, so far: According to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, iPhone 11 orders are exceeding company expectations. Apple doesn’t report iPhone sales anymore, so we are not certain if this is true, but Kuo claims that the new colors are particularly popular and the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max account for 55% of all iPhone orders thus far.
- iPhone 11 series specs confirm RAM and modems: Apple doesn’t divulge all of the pertinent info about iPhones when it launches them, but we now can confirm some specs. All three new iPhones have just 4GB of RAM and Intel modems. The modems don’t surprise us, but 4GB of RAM? In 2019? Wow.
- First physical mockup of iPad Pro leaks: Over at Sonny Dickson’s blog, we saw the first mockup of what appears to be a new iPad Pro, complete with a triple-lens camera setup as we saw on the iPhone 11 Pro. You can see the top of the mockup in the image at the top of this article, or click here for the full image.
- iOS 13 goes live, iOS 13.1 pushed up: Apple launched iOS 13 on September 19, rolling out to all iOS devices from the iPhone 6S to the most recent iPhone 11 series. It also announced that it will push up the planned release of iOS 13.1 by a few days, from September 30 to September 24.
- Apple Arcade goes live, looks great so far: Last week, Apple pushed out Apple Arcade, its game-subscription service that costs just five bucks per month. Early reviews are great so far, with many praising the amount of variety and caliber of games on the platform.
- Apple is going to attempt to trademark “slofies”: What’s a slofie? A slofie is a slow-motion selfie, one of the new tricks in the iPhone 11 series. Apple is apparently trying to trademark this new term which is…OK…we guess.
- Bob Iger resigns from Apple’s board: Because Apple is now in direct competition with Disney (Apple TV Plus vs Disney Plus), Bob Iger — Disney’s chief executive and chairman — stepped down from Apple’s board of directors. This leaves Apple’s board with just seven members, one of the smallest in the tech world.
- Apple greenlights ‘The Mosquito Coast’ series: Apple will air a new series based on the novel The Mosquito Coast, which was turned into a film starring Harrison Ford in 1986. Justin Theroux — whose uncle wrote the original novel — will star.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are currently an Apple user thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.