Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
A quiet week overall in the world of Android, though a few interesting news did came our way. Google finally brought sharing functionality to Keep, and enriched Play Services with some additional functionality that will let devs add cool new features to their apps. Nokia shocked pretty much everyone with the surprise announcement of a brand new Android tablet, and a tempting one at that. Samsung announced it would cut down on the number of smartphones models (finally!) and hinted at a folding device coming next year. Corning, the quiet glassmaker we own our beautiful screens to, announced the latest generation of its Gorilla Glass. And, finally, Apple and the Android-camp are now a little closer to reaching a peace agreement, after years of fruitless patent war.
Welcome to Android Authority this week!
Note: Jayce has taken a little personal time this weekend, so his Android Weekly video segment will be published a bit later. Keep an eye on our YouTube channel for it!
Inside AA HQ
Quiet week inside AA HQ as well. We’re finally catching up with our reviews queue and we’re just as excited as you are about our Lollipop updates and new Nexus devices (well, at least the lucky few who got them).
If you’re planning to pick up some gifts this weekend (Black Friday is finally upon us), you may want to check out our roundup of tech deals from retailers like Amazon, Best Buy and Staples. Lots of stores already put up nice deals (and we’re trying to bring you the best ones individually), but, for the real good stuff, you’ll have to wait for the weekend. We’ll update the roundup all week, and also keep an eye for deals on apps in the Play Store and Amazon Appstore.
A little teaser for our app users: we’re working on revamping the Android Authority Android app with Material Design and the ability to comment on posts. We’ve already enlisted the services of a great dev team, and things are coming along nicely. Looking forward to an early 2015 release!
On behalf of the entire team, happy holidays to our readers in the US and abroad who are celebrating Thanksgiving this week. Enjoy your time at home with your loved ones, and try to put your smartphones down as much as you can, will you?
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here some other interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Review: Lanh takes a look at the Verizon-exclusive version of the Xperia Z3
- Roundup: Big exam coming soon? Joe lists some of the best learning apps here
- Shootout: The Nexus 6 has a great camera, on paper, but how’s real world performance?
- Shootout: HTC bills the Desire Eye as the ultimate selfie phone. We put it to the test
- Review: Gary gives his stamp of (dis)approval to the Alcatel Onetouch Hero 2
- Roundup: Shopping for a new phone? These are your best options
- Tech talk: Chip heads, don’t miss this look at ARM’s “secret weapon” for efficient processing
Top news of the week
Here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Google app updates
- Google Keep introduces list and note sharing
- Google Play Services 6.5 brings trusted places to Smart Lock in Lollipop
- Google opens the door for Android Auto developers with first APIs
- Google launches Divide Productivity Preview for corporate users
- Google bringing Material Design animations to the web
- Samsung will make 25-30% fewer phone models in 2015
- Exec: Samsung to release device with flexible display next year
New Gorilla in town
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: