Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week – October 4, 2015
Android fans, this week brought us a ton of exciting stuff, starting of course with the new Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. The general impression is great, but the new Nexuses are not without controversy. Moving on, Google also brought us the intriguing Pixel C, a revamped Chromecast, and the Chromecast Audio. In non-Google news, we went hands-on with the futuristic Wove band; HTCintroduced a refreshed One M9+ and announced the launch event for the Aero; and LG introduced the durable V10 and LTE-enabled Watch Urbane 2nd edition.
Inside AA HQ
Nexus, Nexus, Nexus! We’re all true Android fans, but what’s the role of Nexus phones, besides fan service? There are a lot of theories. From taking Google’s words at face value (“a phone for developers,” “pushing the ecosystem forward”) to the more outlandish ideas (“Nexus phones are just ads”), people don’t seem to agree what the Nexus program’s role is today. That said, Nexus devices are, without doubt, important for the Android community, and that is why they hold a special place in our coverage. Check out Josh’s excellent hands-on and comparisons starring the Nexus 5X and 6P (and the Pixel C) and let us know what you think.
With the Nexus event over, it looks like the biggest releases of the year are behind us. HTCis still trying to save a bad year with the Aero, coming October 20. But as far as big phones come, we’re pretty much done. Keep an eye for our updated best smartphones ranking.
This week’s giveaway is special. We have three prizes up for grabs, and they are all extremely appealing: Galaxy Note 5, OnePlus 2, and Moto X Pure. Head over here to enter the contest and good luck!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Comparison: Big phone comparison: Note 5 or Mate S – Gary weighs in
- Review: Smartwatches don’t have to be round to be cool. The ZenWatch 2 is proof
- Comparison: Mate S or Mate 7: two generations of the Mate series compared
- Video: Joe demoes Google Now on Tap, the biggest feature in Marshmallow
- Feature: The pricing of the Nexus got Europeans up in arms. Nirave looks for an explanation
- Review: Ash did a masterful review of the Moto X Play. Don’t miss it!
- How to: Is your battery charging too slowly? Here are some tips that might help
Top news of the week
Wove band: the future is flexible
- Video: Wove band puts a truly flexible e-ink display on your wrist
- Hands-on with the futuristic Wove Band
Nexus 5X: everything you need to know
- Nexus 5X officially announced: everything you need to know
- Nexus 5X vs Nexus 5 – quick look
- Nexus 6P vs Nexus 6 quick look
- Nexus 6P and 5X vs the competition
- Nexus 5X hands-on: a look at Google’s new affordable phone
Nexus 6P: everything you need to know
- Nexus 6P officially announced: everything you need to know
- Nexus 6P will cost just $500 in US, 650 Euros in Europe!
- Nexus 6P has the second best mobile camera (according to DxOMark)
- Googlers share impressive 240-fps slow-mo video and photos shot with Nexus 6P
Pixel C: out of the left field
- Google announces the Pixel C, a new 10.2-inch premium Android tablet aimed at productivity
- Google Pixel C hands-on and first look
HTC: a new hero is coming
- HTC announces One M9+ “Supreme Camera” Edition
- HTC launches the Butterfly 3 for international markets
- HTC says the One M9 and One M8 will see Android 6.0 Marshmallow by year’s end
- HTC’s next hero phone is launching October 20th, Marshmallow onboard
Chromecast: new and improved
- New Chromecast and Chromecast Audio: new features and design, for the same $35 price
- Chromecast support is finally making its way to Spotify
- Latest Chromecast app update brings content discovery, search functionality and more
LG V10: drop it like it’s hot
- LG V10 officially announced: everything you need to know
- LG V10 hands-on and first impressions
- LG V10 vs LG G4: quick look
- LG V10 durability drop test
Watch Urbane 2: Android Wear, now with LTE
- LG Watch Urbane 2 official: first Android Wear watch with cellular connectivity
- LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition first look
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.