Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
Android fans, this was a bit quiet on the Android front (unless you count the outrageous April Fools’ pranks that made the rounds), but Google made it up to us with some interesting developments on the Chrome OS front. Google and its partners launched cheap new Chromebooks, a new Chromebase, the Chromebit TV dongle, and a tool that allows just about any Android app to run on Chrome OS. In other news, we heard rumors about the Xperia Z4 and the LG G4, Lollipop updates hit several popular devices, Google updated some of its apps, HTCintroduced the One E9+ and the One M8+, and OnePlus finally released its new Oxygen OS.
Inside AA HQ
It was no April Fools’ joke, but it was announced on April 1, naturally creating a little confusion. Experienced tech journalist, prodigious Twitter user, and all around jolly good fellow Nirave Ghondia is joining Android Authority. Based in the UK, Nirave will contribute features and opinion pieces on the hottest developments in the tech world. Here’s to a long and fertile collaboration!
Spearheaded by Gary, we’re doubling down on our developer-focused content. By the way, if you’re interested in developing for Android and IoT, you should give our weekly developer newsletter a look. It’s all hand-picked resources that – we hope – will help improve your skills.
We’re also pushing hard with our new app and product database, so hopefully we’ll have some good news to share in the next weeks.
A PSA from my colleagues doing our podcast: we’ve published last week’s edition (Sci-Fi tech of today) – sorry for the delay! We’ve also put up this week’s edition (Chrome OS), so happy listening!
As always, Sunday brings you the chance to win a cool new device from our weekly giveaway (we’ve changed up the raffle widget, by the way, hope you like the new one). This week it’s a Galaxy S6 Edge.
The Friday Debate Podcast
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here are some interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Review: The Galaxy S6 Edge review: a unique phone, but is it worth your money?
- Opinion: Matt has made up his mind – he’s choosing the Galaxy S6 over the Edge. Here’s why
- Review: Kevin puts the Meizu M1 Note to the test – see what he thinks about it
- April Fools’: The best tech April Fools’ pranks in one place
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Xperia Z4 specs revealed?
LG G4 news and rumors
- Verizon LG G2 gets Android 5.0 Lollipop, ahead of the G3
- AT&T HTCOne M7 getting Lollipop today, AT&T M8 update on 4/6
- One M7 getting Lollipop in India and other Asian countries
- Galaxy Note 4 getting Lollipop in India, Brazil, UAE and more
- Android 5.0 Lollipop now rolling out to the Verizon Galaxy Note 4
Google apps updates
- New Gmail update for Android brings a unified inbox, conversation view and much more
- Google will now integrate all of your photos and videos from Google+ into Drive
- A Google Now-style facelift is making its way to Chrome OS beta
- Google News and Weather updated, adds new “suggested for you” feature
Chrome OS in the spotlight
- Google announces the Chromebit, an easy way to bring Chrome OS to your TV
- Google unveils four new budget-friendly Chromebooks for under $250
- Acer Chromebase announced, touchscreen in tow
- Google’s ARC Welder tool makes it easy to run almost any Android app on Chrome
Oxygen OS is here
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: