Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
5 Android apps you shouldn't miss this week - Android Apps Weekly
- On a lighter note, 2021 brought some new stuff to Netflix after The Office left. Cobra Kai season 3 aired starting on January 1st. History of Swear Words began on January 5th. Some other upcoming shows include Pieces of a Woman (January 7th), Outside the Wire (January 15th), and many others. View the whole list at the link above.
- Telegram’s location sharing raised some eyebrows this week. The People Nearby feature lets people view your general whereabouts. However, with some tools, it’s not too difficult to find your actual location and where you live. Telegram says the feature works as intended and no fixes are coming. The feature isn’t forced so you can turn it off if you don’t want to use it.
- Minecraft Earth is shutting its doors this year. The date is June 2021. Unfortunately, the unique idea never took off with players and the pandemic kept a lot of potential players indoors. Pokemon Go overcame the pandemic with more features for players stuck at home, a performance Minecraft Earth couldn’t emulate. Goodbye, Minecraft Earth, you were cool.
- Discovery Plus officially launched earlier this week. The new streaming service includes content from The Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, and TLC along with some others. It boasts a collection of 55,000 episodes of TV at $4.99. Another streaming service isn’t great news for consumers because it’s more money. However, a lot of this stuff already wasn’t available on other services anyway. Click here to check it out in more detail.
OnePlus Health is the companion app for the OnePlus fitness band. The band isn’t out yet, but the app is. It boasts many of the same features as Fitbit. It’ll track your health, exercise, heart rate, and sleep data. Additionally, it has functions to allow for things like notification syncing. We couldn’t try it yet because the fitness band isn’t out and it’s not available for any devices to download. However, it’s here when the band comes out.
Price: $6.99 with in-app purchases
Asdivine Saga is the latest game in Kemco’s long running Asdivine series. This one follows the story of Vyse as he tries to figure out the evil lurking behind the scenes of the world. The game play mechanics are simple and strongly resemble JRPGs in the 1990’s. There is a world map, turn-based combat mechanics, and various dungeons and towns to explore. It also re-uses elements from other Asdivine games. From what we can tell, you shouldn’t need to play any of the previous games to enjoy this one, so it’s a good way to introduce yourself to the series. The $6.99 price tag nets you the game with no ads and some in-game currency to start. You can buy more currency for stuff if you want to, but this isn’t a free to play style game.
Price: Free trial / $34.95 per year
Stella Arcana is a new MMORPG. It has a lot of the usual and desirable things like a large open world, plenty of things to do, and the ability to play in various ways with other players. Some of its highlights include a better fleshed out story than many competitors, the ability to keep pets and your own house, and decent combat mechanics. So far, most of the issues are lag and we expect those to get ironed out by updates eventually. This could be a really good MMORPG if the developers keep up with it.
AirMusic is a very useful application. It lets you stream your local media to anything and that includes Apple AirPlay devices, a rarity on Android. It also supports Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast, Heos, SONOS, and even DLNA and UPnP. The app also works with music streaming. It works by capturing the audio and then streaming it to the device of your choice. Unfortunately, that means you need Android 10 or higher to use it or else you’ll need root. It’s one of the few ways to use AirPlay on an Android device so that’s nice. It’s also free as of the time of this writing.
Thank you for reading! Try these out as well:
- 10 best fitness tracker apps for Android
- 15 best RPGs for Android
- 15 best Android VPN apps
- 10 best music streaming apps
- 15 best and biggest MMORPGs
If we missed any big Android apps or games news or releases, tell us about it in the comments!