Welcome to the 287th edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines from the last week:
- Office Depot forked out $25 million this week over bogus antivirus scans. The company had a misleading form that prompted people to pay $300 for what was ultimately an unnecessary repair. It ran this program from 2009 through 2016 before it eventually stopped. Another company, Support.com, paid $10 million in the investigation as well.
- Minit is coming to mobile soon. It’s a rather unique game. Players only have one minute to play. You do as many things as you can possible do in that time span and the game ends after that. Minit saw great success on console and PC so we expect the game to do well on mobile as well. We don’t have details about the game’s launch date or pricing yet. Stay tuned for more!
- Snapchat’s bit Android rebuild is rolling out this year. We sat down with a few members of Snapchat’s development team to talk about the behind-the-scenes of that huge endeavor. They talked about identifying the problem, how to fix it, their previous code base issues, and plenty of other topics. Hit the link to read the full story!
- Google had some good stuff happen this week. To start, Google Duplex is finally rolling out to non-Pixel phones in the United States. The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, OnePlus 6, and OnePlus 6T are among the first to get it according to reports. In addition, John Legend’s voice finally officially made its way to Google Assistant earlier this week. It’s been a long time coming for that one.
- Google also had some bad news this week. Google+ officially shut down on April 2nd, 2019 as scheduled. You can still download your old data if you want it, but access to the site is now gone. In addition, Inbox by Gmail also officially shut down on April 2nd, 2019. The Gmail team already ported a good number of Inbox features directly to Gmail. However, it’ll never quite be the same as Inbox. Those affected can check out our picks for the best Google Inbox alternatives here.
If we missed any big Android apps and games news, updates, or releases, tell us about them in the comments! You can also click here to check out our latest podcasts!