Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Here's how to add Ikea Trådfri lights to the Philips Hue Bridge hub
Luckily, it’s not too hard to add Trådfri lights to Philips Hue. It may sound counterintuitive, what with Philips being a competing brand, but the trick is that the Hue Smart Hub uses the Zigbee protocol. This means you can shop around for Zigbee-compliant smart bulbs from Ikea or elsewhere.
Connecting your Trådfri lights to the Philips Hue Smart Hub
Connecting your lights is quite simple on paper, if not necessarily intuitive. Follow these steps, as per Ikea’s website:
- First of all, ensure that the Trådfri light sources you want to connect are installed in their sockets, and have an updated software version (1.2.x or later).
- Keep the lights close to the Hue Smart Hub.
- Search for new devices using the Philips Hue app.
- Do a factory reset of the light sources by toggling their power switch(es) six times.
If all goes according to plan, you should be connected to the rest of your smart light ecosystem.
Read more: The best Philips Hue apps
What if I have problems connecting Trådfri to the Hue Smart Hub?
In theory, the Hue app should be able to discover Trådfri lights the same way it does any other smart bulb. However, there’s a possibility your accessories won’t show up on the first try, so you may have to keep trying until it works.
Here are some tips to make setup work smoothly:
- First, try to get your bulbs as close to the Smart Hub as possible when syncing.
- To cut down on interference, turn off any other Zigbee hubs you might be using — just for the time it takes you to sync your Ikea lights. Some speakers and displays can have built-in hubs, such as the fourth-generation Amazon Echo.
- Finally, you should turn off your native Hue bulbs as well.
With that advice in tow, you should have everything you need to know to get your Trådfri gear hooked up to your Hue Smart Hub. Once you follow these steps, you’ll be able to control your Trådfri bulbs from the Hue app, or any Hue-compatible voice assistant.
Related: The best smart light bulbs