Welcome to the 245th edition on Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines and releases from the last week:
- Tons of places updated their terms of service in preparation of Europe’s new GDPR. Tinder decided to add some other stuff to their ToS update. You can no longer sue or file a class action lawsuit against Tinder if you accept their new ToS. It’s also retroactive and that may be problematic. You can opt-out of the retroactive part. However, you only have 30 days to do so and it’s not a simple process inside of the app. Click the link to learn more.
- A new YouTube series highlights accomplishments from prominent members of the mobile gaming community. This includes voice actors/actresses, game designers, and other prominent members of the mobile gaming community. There are three episodes out now with more coming later. They feature Ashly Burch, Bennet Foddy, and Vassiliki Khonsari. It’s a good watch and the videos aren’t long.
- YouTube Music is officially rolling out. The release started a few days ago. However, it’s a very slow roll out. Many people haven’t seen it yet and many are on mailing lists for its official launch. This is reminiscent to Google’s roll out of Google Play Music as well as Google+. Thus, it’s not overly suprising. YouTube music will also retain most of Google Play Music’s features as well.
- Google I/O had a lot great stuff about Google Lens. Those features are rolling out now. Some of the abilities include copying text from the real world and pasting it on your device. It’s still very much a work in progress. However, this latest string of updates adds some really cool functionality. Hit the link to learn more.
- A study came out this week. It shows the most popular mobile payment apps by usage. Starbucks is the most popular with over 20 million users. Behind it comes Apple Pay with 19.7 million, Google Pay with 9.7 million, and Samsung Pay with 8.7 million. Starbucks is a bit of a surprise. However, its mobile app doesn’t work in every store like the others do. That makes Apple Pay the actual champion of the segment for now.
If we missed any great Android app or game news, releases, or updates, tell us about them in the comments!