Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
5 Android apps you shouldn't miss this week - Android Apps Weekly
[Price: Free with in-app purchases]
100 Doors is a hidden object and arcade puzzle game that has you finding things, solving puzzles, and unlocking doors using taps, shakes, and a little bit of logic. There are over 60 levels, four types of hints to help you get passed the tough parts, and much more. The game is animated quite well with cute animals and colorful graphics. There is also a Wheel of Fortune feature that gives you free items every day. It’s especially great for kids and it’s free to download right now.
Welcome back to Android Apps Weekly! Here are your headlines from this week:
- The once-popular app known as Secret is shutting down. The owner released a statement that the app was not what he envisioned and opted to close up shop and return all of the investment money. It had a good run.
- Google Play Services is being updated to version 7.3. Among the changes include new APIs to handle messaging and connections on wearables, the ability to connect multiple wearables at once, and some new stuff for Google Fit.
- Google Now is gaining support for more than 70 new third party applications. This means more cards and more information at your finger tips. A few of the apps that are gaining support are Runtastic, ABC News, Allrecipes, and OpenTable.
- In an effort to keep up with the competition, Facebook has introduced free video calling to Messenger. The feature is rolling out to many countries around the world and this helps put them on par with apps like Skype, Hangouts, and others.
- Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will run both iOS and Android applications. At their Build 2015 developer conference, they announced Project Islandwood and Project Astoria to help developers make their apps compatible with Windows 10.
For all of the latest Android apps and games headlines, new releases, and updates, don’t forget to check out this week’s newsletter. There we round up all of the news for the week. If you’re so inclined, you can also sign up for the newsletter with your email and we’ll send it to you every Friday.
Invites have only just started going out but the Project Fi app is now available. The app is the official mobile app for the mobile carrier service and will let you activate your service, manage your account, see your monthly statements, get in contact with customer support, and check your data usage. It’s nothing complex and it’ll get the job done. If you end up getting Project Fi, you’ll want this app.
[Price: $9.99 with in-app purchases]
Broken Age is the latest game from the acclaimed game studio Double Fine. It features carefully hand-drawn graphics and includes an all-star voiceover cast including Elijah Wood, Wil Wheaton, Jack Black, Masasa Moyo, and many more. The premise is you play as a couple of teenagers and you can switch between their stories as you please. It’s a family friendly game which means it’s great for kids and adults as well.
Illustration Faces 2 is a set of watch faces for Android Wear. They feature simple, retro style animations with a bit of style and class. They’re relatively inexpensive at $0.99 and each watch face comes with its own set of customization options. The watch faces may not be as feature filled as some, but they do offer a unique look to your Android Wear device and there are no in-app purchases.
Clarity Keyboard Beta is a keyboard from the developers of SwiftKey. It’s part of the SwiftKey greenhouse beta program and it focuses on simplicity. It’s currently only available in US English and only on devices running Android 4.4 and up. For now, it’s very simple and doesn’t really include much but it’s fun to try out if you don’t mind the bugs. New features and fixes should come soon to help with the stability.
[Price: Free with in-app purchases]
Does Not Commute is the latest game out of Mediocre who is most known for their hit title called Smash Hit. Does Not Commute is a driving game where you must navigate through traffic in a given time limit to a destination. It’s more difficult than it sounds and and gets progressively more difficult as you play. The game is free to play but you can pay for the premium which removes ads and lets you continue from checkpoints.
If we missed any great Android apps and games news, let us know in the comments!