This week’s episode of the Android Apps Weekly show is brought to you by FreeMo! This is nifty little application that gives you credits that you can then use to lower your monthly cell phone payment. The process is pretty easy. You sign up for an account, engage with the surveys, videos, or other marketing stuff, and then you get credits. Once you earn so many credits, you can cash out and get a voucher for use on your cell phone plan.
The app should work for all cell phone carriers as well as on prepaid and postpaid accounts. Earning credits really isn’t that difficult because most of the activities don’t require a ton of time. You’ll mostly be doing stuff like watching videos, download apps, and taking surveys. It’s a free download so give it a shot and show your support for Android Apps Weekly!
Welcome to the 151st episode of the Android Apps Weekly show! Here are the headlines for this week:
- Facebook announced this week that they have over one billion active daily users. That’s billion with a “b”. Facebook outshines literally everything else on the Internet by a wide margin. Many people have attributed the success to Facebook’s continued focus on mobile features, live video, 360-degree content, and more. As a result, you can expect Facebook’s focus on these things to continue into the future and their growth should as well.
- Google also announced that the Google Play Store will be getting additional categories in order to help people find apps more easily. This is great news since most apps are available in multiple categories and it’s already pretty confusing. There will be eight new categories and a few of them will be Art & Design, Parenting, Dating, and Food & Drink, to give you an idea of what they’ll be like.
- Google Play continued its busy week with a new algorithm that’s said to help lower the size of updates so that they aren’t so hard on your data plan. It does this by allowing the update to only download the changes which are then merged into the existing files on your device. That way you don’t have to download the whole app every time an update gets pushed out. This will result in far smaller downloads and less download times.
- Mobius Final Fantasy is coming out on August 3rd, but we were given an APK early so we could try it out first. Our initial impressions were fairly positive. You’ll find that the game has better graphics than other freemium Final Fantasy titles. However, it is still a freemium game and you’ll find all of the components of one in the game. It’ll be interesting, that’s for sure and it’ll also be out soon.
- The latest Humble Mobile Bundle is now live. This week’s run has a bunch of really good games, including Ys Chronicles, Hitman Go, Chameleon Run, The Banner Saga, and others. You can pay $1 to get three games, beat the average to get six games, or pay a flat $6 or more to get every game in the bundle. This is an exceptionally good week, especially if you like RPGs, so don’t miss out!
For even more Android apps and games news, you can check out our newsletter by clicking here! There you’ll find all kinds of stuff we didn’t have time for here, including the latest Pokemon Go news if you wanted to know more about that. If you want to sign up for our newsletter, you can do so by filling out the form below and we’ll send it to your inbox every Sunday! Also, don’t forget to check out the Android Authority app!
VR Controller is a fun little app that allows you to transform an old device into a controller for a VR game. Here’s how it works. You download the app onto an old device that you’re not using. You then pair that device to your current device using Bluetooth. From there, you can use it as a controller while playing VR games. It’s compatible with Gear VR, Google Cardboard, and other Android VR headsets. If you’re big into VR gaming, this is definitely an app to check out.
[Price: Free with in-app purchases]
Maiden: Legacy of the Beast is a turn-based combat strategy based on the music of Iron Maiden. The mechanics are fairly simple and you’ll have five classes to choose from, dozens of talisman packs to collect, and plenty of bad guys to do combat with. Perhaps the most interesting part of the game is the soundtrack. It will feature many Iron Maiden tracks and some of them are previously unreleased songs or songs that were made specifically for the game. Fans of the band should definitely check it out.
TraffickCam is a unique application that could help track down sex traffickers. The idea is that whenever you stay in a hotel, you open the app and take a few pictures of the room that you’re staying in. You then upload it to a database and the proper authorities can use it to match pictures taken by sex traffickers. It’s a completely free download and worth taking with you when you’re out traveling about. Every little bit helps, right?
[Price: Free with in-app purchases]
LEGO Star Wars TFA is the latest installment of the LEGO Star Wars franchise and this one is themed after the highly successful The Force Awakens movie. This is an episodic adventure which means you’ll have to unlock various segments of the story through in-app purchases. Aside from that, the game features tons of characters and scenarios from the movie for you to play through. It’s a fun little game that is also family friendly and you can pick up the beginning of it for free.
Prisma was released early last week and it’s one of the more unique filter apps that we’ve seen. According to the developers, the app uses neural networks and artificial intelligence to transform your photos. Because of this, you’re going to get some unique results when applying filters to your photos. There are a variety of filters that you can use and we assure you that none of them are the kinds of typical stuff you see in other apps. It’s completely free so there’s no harm in trying it out.
Related best app lists:
If we missed any of the best Android apps or games news from the last week, tell us about them in the comments!To see our complete list of best app lists, click here.