There's already a method for rooting the Google Nexus 7 tablet, though that one's somewhat tedious and cumbersome. It involves typing in commands and rebooting the tablet into various modes which makes the whole process a bit risky. However, there's a new one-click rooting tool for the device which is great for newbies who don't want to play with the command line.
Even before the release of the new talk of the town, the Google Nexus 7, XDA Developers member m.sabra had already figured out a way to gain root access on the device running on the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS. Furthermore, the rooting tool doesn't only provide easy one-click root but also installs ClockworkMod Recovery for you, hitting two birds with one click. The tool also includes the drivers for your tablet, so you can run it right away.
If you are new to this stuff and you find the term “rooting” staggering, we suggest that you read “Rooting for dummies: A beginner’s guide to rooting your Android device.” Plus, our layperson’s dictionary of rooting terms may also prove valuable if you're just starting out.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Google Nexus 7. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Google Nexus 7
- [Optional] Unlock your tablet's bootloader if you don't want your data to be wiped. You can follow our guide for unlocking your Google Nexus 7′s bootloader.
- Enable USB Debugging on your tablet.
- Charge your tablet to at least 50% to avoid interruption due to power loss.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the one-click rooting toolkit (Nexus-7-root-toolkit-v.1.1.zip, md5sum: c975e90a23a9a3294d9f6a3c86d806db) from the following:
- Extract the rooting toolkit package into a folder on your PC where you can easily find it. We recommend you to put the extraction folder on your Desktop.
- Install the required drivers on your computer. The drivers are located in the Drivers folder included with the root toolkit package.
- After installing the drivers, look for root.exe in the extracted folder.
- Run it by double-clicking the file. Follow the on-screen instruction to root your tablet.
- After rooting is finished, reboot your Google Nexus 7 and enjoy!
Congratulations! It's that simple. With just a double-click, you have rooted your Google Nexus 7 and installed ClockworkMod Recovery. Stay tuned to Android Authority for new ROMs and mods for your device!
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.