Hello Android fans! This week, we published our exclusive CAD render of the LG G5, details about the Xiaomi Mi 5 release date surfaced, Samsung was sued over its lack of updates, the uber-popular Whatsapp went free, we learned how much money Google made from Android, several manufacturers released Marshmallow updates, and Google rolled out updates to some of its apps.
Inside AA HQ
We’re trying something fresh with our reviews, starting with our impressions of the Huawei Mate 8. Basically, we’re splitting the task in two, with one person handling the video and another the written post. Of course, the two reviewers discuss and coordinate their reporting, but the idea is to give you more than just one perspective – and more depth – on the devices we’re evaluating. Quality reviews require a ton of time, so having two reviewers should allow us to produce in-depth, top-notch reviews faster than ever. We realize not everyone will enjoy this format, and things are far from set in stone. We just want to give you the best product we can, so one way or another, expect a deeper focus on reviews in 2016.
Don’t miss our weekly Sunday Giveaway, going live later today! Good luck, guys!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Review: The Huawei Mate 8 is definitely impressive, but there are some flaws
- Feature: Where is LG heading in 2016?
- Feature: The stakes are high for Samsung: what to expect in 2016?
- Hands-on: The Galaxy A7 (2016) is a surprisingly attractive device, thinks Matt
- Tech talk: Interested in mobile audio? Don’t miss Rob’s deep dive on why 32-bit audio is overkill on mobile
- Hands-on: We go hands-on with Oppo’s new photo-centric device, the F1
- For developers: So you want to develop Android apps – these are the languages you should study
- Review: Gary takes the minute Raspberry Pi Zero for a spin
News of the week
How much money does Android make for Google?
- Google has reportedly made $31 billion from Android
- Why making $31 billion off Android sucks for Google
- How does Google make money from Android?
Xiaomi Mi 5 release
- Xiaomi Mi 5 could launch this February 24th
- (Update: available one week after launch) Xiaomi Mi 5 arriving in February with Snapdragon 820
Samsung sued over updates
LG G5 exclusive render
- HTC rolling out Marshmallow to several North American carriers next week
- HTC announces UK One M8 Marshmallow update, M9 to “follow shortly” (UPDATE: rest of Europe too)
- Marshmallow lands for the Moto G Turbo Edition in India
- Marshmallow beta test kicks off for the Huawei Mate 7
- Moto G (2nd gen) Marshmallow soak test begins in Brazil and India
- Xiaomi starts pushing out Android 6.0.1 to the Mi 4
Whatsapp goes free
Google apps updates
- Photos shortcut in Google Camera now rolling out
- Google’s Brotli compression squashes web data by 26 percent
- Google now rolling out a redesigned weather experience on Android
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.