Xiaomi is rolling out a massive camera update to the Mi 10 and Mi 10 Pro flagships ahead of their global unveiling today. The update was announced by Xiaomi on Chinese microblogging website Weibo (h/t: GSMArena) and brings a bunch of new photography features to the 108MP camera phones.
One of the biggest additions is that of Super Video Stabilization. Xiaomi hasn’t said what the feature does exactly, but the name suggests that it adds a high level of video stabilization to the phones. The main 108MP camera on both the Mi 10 and Mi 10 Pro already features Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), while the 8MP telephoto lens on the Pro variant also gets OIS. We think the new mode improves upon the existing OIS tech.
There’s also a new pro video mode in the camera which will let users adjust things like white balance, focus parameters, shutter time, ISO, and more.
In addition, the phones will now apparently get the ability to record 8K videos. The Snapdragon 865 inside the phones already supports 8K recording so we’re not sure why Xiaomi would mention this as a new feature in the camera update. It’s possible that the feature wasn’t made available when the phones first launched in China a few weeks ago.
You can view the complete changelog of the camera update headed to the Mi 10 series below. Know that this has been roughly translated from Chinese to English, so some new features might not be easy to decipher as of now.
New camera features coming to the Xiaomi Mi 10 series
Super video stabilization upgrade
- Super Stabilizer Plus
- Larger format ratio
- Better anti-shake effect
Normal video shooting support zoom
- Supports smooth zoom
- Support Hitchcock shooting
Adjustable parameters for professional mode recording video
- Adjust video recording effects at any time
- Adjustable white balance, focus parameters, shutter time, ISO, EV parameters
8K video movie format
- 8K video recording, textured movie format
- Video playback, one-click 8K screenshot
Video tag function
- Recording video for a long time
- Album with backmarker keyframes
Album video compression
- Lossless image compression
- Easily save 50%+ space
- Intelligently analyze video clips and automatically match cool transition music
- Support manual adjustment of subtitles, multiples, titles, and trailers
- VLOG blockbuster, one-click can now create a film
Xiaomi’s Weibo post notes that the update is currently rolling out through the beta channel. A stable version will be seeded out sometime in early April.
Meanwhile, if you’re looking forward to the global launch of the Mi 10 series today, you can watch the event online here.