Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to use Lures in Pokemon Go, where to find them, and what they do
- Check out our overview and beginner’s guide on how to play Pokemon Go!
- Check out the latest Pokemon Go news right here!
How to use Lures in Pokemon Go
Using a Lure is very simple. Here are the steps:
- You must travel to a Pokestop. Pokestops are the only places where Lures can be used.
- Once you’re at a Pokestop, you’re ready to use a Lure. Sit down, get comfortable, and prepare to hang out for a minute (or 30).
- Tap on the Pokestop in the Pokemon Go main screen.
- Once it opens up, there is a small, white, cylindrical shaped icon above the giant circular Pokestop picture. Tap that small icon.
- You’ll be greeted with a screen that asks you if you want to use a Lure. Go ahead and click that button and then confirm.
- Head back to the main screen. The Pokestop should now be awash in purple flower pedals and swirls. That means the Lure is active.
- Lures last for 30 minutes and you’ll have to remain near the Pokestop in order to enjoy the benefits. If you have to wander off, don’t stay away too long!
What Lures do in Pokemon Go
As the name suggests, Lures help lure Pokemon to your location. This is similar to how Incense work. The two main differences are that you can only use Lures at Pokestops and that Lures can be used by everyone nearby. Click here to learn more about how Incense work. Here are some facts about Lures:
- Anyone sitting at the Pokestop with you can benefit from your Lure. Likewise, you can benefit from any Lures placed on a Pokestop. Having multiple people at a Lure does not make it more or less effective.
- Lures last for 30 minutes. Unlike Incense and Lucky Eggs, you won’t see a timer on the side of your screen. When the Lure is finished, the Pokestop will simply stop emitting purple flower petals.
- The Pokestop is functional during a Lure and you can collect from them at regular intervals.
- Lures cause Pokemon to spawn about once five minutes on average.
- A popular tactic is to use a Lure, an Incense, and a Lucky Egg all at once. This spawns tons of Pokemon and you get double the XP for catching them! This is great for lower level players, but higher level players can earn more XP far more quickly.
- Most Lures are placed by players. However, businesses have used them to attract potential customers to their location. In the future, businesses will be able to purchase Pokestops.
- Lures spawn fresh Pokemon at your location. They do not take the Pokemon in your Nearby box and make them come to you. You will still have to hunt for them.
- The Pokemon that spawn at Lures are the same for every player on the Lure. If a Bellsprout shows up for you, it’s going to show up for everyone else as well. The power may vary, though.
- On rare occasions, there have been reports of criminals using Lures to bring people to a Pokestop for purposes of robbery or assault. Please be cautious when checking out a Lure in an unfamiliar area, especially at night.
Where to find Lures in Pokemon Go
Lures are one of the game’s most rare items and that can make them hard to track down. Here is where you can find Lures right now:
- They are most frequently given out as rewards for leveling up. As you increase in level, you get a ton of rewards and Lures tend to be one of them.
- You can buy them in the shop with Poke Coins. A single Lure Module costs 100 coins. You can also buy eight Lure Modules for 680 coins. Click here for a short tutorial on how to get free Pokecoins to buy more Lures!
- Unlike most items, there is little to no evidence to suggest that Lures can be found at Pokestops. We don’t recommend you hunt for them that way.
- You will almost certainly come across Pokestops with Lures already on them from other players. This is especially common in popular areas like parks or downtown in the city. Feel more than free to sit down and join other players who are farming a Lure. After all, your presence doesn’t affect the Lure’s abilities so why not, right? Don’t be shy about sharing your Lures as well!
Lures are extremely powerful in the Pokemon Go universe and are highly sought after. Thankfully, they are community items and you’ll likely see people stop and enjoy your Lure whenever you pop one. Likewise, you’ll likely stop by to enjoy someone else’s Lure from time to time. If you have any great tips, tricks, or stories about Lures, tell us about them in the comments!