Incense are one of the most useful and rare items in Pokemon Go. They’re often given out at level-ups and they can be used to draw monsters to your location. They’re great because they allow you to play stationary which can help you play indoors during rainy days or if you can’t make it outside. Here is a quick guide on Pokemon Go Incense, where you can find them, and what they do!
- Check out our overview and beginner’s guide on how to play Pokemon Go!
- Check out the latest Pokemon Go news right here!
How to use Incense in Pokemon Go
Using Incense in Pokemon Go is actually very easy. Just follow these steps:
- From the main screen, open your bag (on the bottom left corner)
- Access your items (icon on the far right inside the bag menu).
- Scroll down to the Incense if you have any.
- Tap the incense and they will appear on your screen.
- Tap the incense a second time to activate it.
Once you’ve activated your Incense, your Pokemon Go character will have a pinkish-purple mist swirling around them. That indicates that the Incense is currently active. On top of that, you’ll see the Incense icon in the top right corner of the screen with a timer. Incense last for 30 minutes.
You’ll want to plan your incense use for when you can dedicate a full 30 minutes to the game. The timer goes down even if you’re not actively playing. That means closing down the game doesn’t stop the timer. Server issues, closing the game to accept a phone call, or your battery dying isn’t going to stop it either. In fact, nothing stops the timer so be ready to waste some of it if you have to close out the game.
Where to find Incense in Pokemon Go
Incense are one of the rarer items in Pokemon Go and they don’t come around very often. Here are a list of places where you can expect to find one:
- The easiest way to find them is by leveling up. Most players receive Incense upon leveling up their character but this is a finite method for obtaining them.
- You can buy them with Pokecoins in the Shop. You can pay 80 coins for one Incense, 500 coins for eight Incense, or 1250 coins for 25 Incense. Coins cost real life money, although you can earn them by beating gyms and “cashing out” every day as well. You can learn more about how to get free Pokecoins by clicking here!
- Unfortunately, Incense aren’t available at Pokestops.
Incense are rare which means that it makes sense that they’re a little difficult to find (or cost real money). The very best way to get them is to take over Pokemon Go gyms. Once per day, you can “cash in” in the Shop and you’ll receive 10 Pokecoins for each gym your Pokemon are at. For instance, if you end a day with three Pokemon on three different gyms, you’ll receive 30 Pokecoins when you cash in. It is important to note that you can only “cash in” once per day. This is the most consistent and effective way to get Incense without spending money.
What do Incense do in Pokemon Go
The core idea of an Incense is to bring Pokemon to your location. They are popular because Pokemon will show up without you having to go outside, move around, or do anything special. There are a few fun facts to note when it comes to using Incense:
- Incense last for 30 minutes.
- Incense will draw random Pokemon to your location. They will not draw Pokemon that are on your “Nearby” map to where you are. You still have to go hunting for those.
- Pokemon will show up once every five minutes if you’re not moving. Thus, you can get about six chances to catch Pokemon every time you pop an incense.
- The source code that’s been published here suggests that Incense will draw one Pokemon per minute to your location if you’re traveling around 200 meters per minute. This hasn’t been confirmed as truth, but players have reported that incense tend to draw Pokemon to your location more frequently when you are moving. It should be noted that 200 meters per minute is quite a brisk pace. If you want to try this out for yourself, you’ll likely have to drive and we recommend that you bring a friend to play your phone for you. Safety first, always!
- Since the only ways to get them is by leveling up or by using your Pokecoins, you’ll want to only use Incense on special occasions.
- Unlike Lures, Incense only work for you. Nobody else is going to see the Pokemon your Incense spawns on your screen. You can learn more about Lures here!
There is a lot of hearsay going on with Pokemon Go which makes definitive information a little harder to nail down. However, Incense are pretty clear cut. They draw Pokemon to your location and they are rare and difficult to find. That makes them not only valuable, but also essential for Pokemon Go trainers. If you have any Incense-related stories or rumors, feel free to post them in the comments!