This week saw a number of interesting announcements in the Android world, including an enormous 108MP camera sensor from Samsung. That’s 12,032 x 9,024 pixels for those of you doing the math, although with pixel binning images likely won’t be improved much. The first phone to use this sensor will come from Xiaomi later this year.
Speaking of cameras, the Huawei P30 Pro was dethroned from the top DxOMark score this week. A week after Samsung officially released the new Note series, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus 5G now holds the top spot. The test was done with the 5G version, but it has the same sensor as the Galaxy Note 10 Plus so expect similar results.
On the review side, this week we had a look at a few cheaper devices this week: the Xiaomi Mi A3 and the Vivo S1. We also reviewed a fantastic set of true-wireless earbuds from Sony and some new noise cancelling headphones from AKG.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Xiaomi Mi A3 review: A safe bet — Xiaomi’s Mi A2 was popular for its great value proposition. Is the Mi A3 a worthy successor? Read our review to find out!
- Vivo S1 review: When good looks aren’t enough — Are good looks enough to make the Vivo S1 stand out in the mid-range segment? Probably not.
- Sony WF-1000XM3 review: The only true-wireless earbuds you need — These true-wireless earbuds are expensive, but worth it. Here’s why.
- AKG N700NC review: Noise cancelling king — ANC headphones that make any airplane cabin feel like first class.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 vs Note 10: Worth the upgrade? — Check out a few reasons for and against upgrading to the latest Samsung Galaxy Note 10 phones from the Note 8.
- Don’t fall for the 100MP camera hype — 100MP camera phones are coming, but can you really obtain such detailed pictures from a tiny sensor?
- 6 camera features all smartphone brands should have in 2019 — From 4K/60fps recording to hybrid zoom, here are a few features every manufacturer should offer this year.
- Staff picks: 11 things Oliver uses every day — From a metric ton of Google products to a Wi-Fi baby monitor, these are the 11 things Oliver uses every day.
- Region-exclusive smartphone colors need to stop — Region-specific smartphone colors make sense from a manufacturing standpoint. That doesn’t make them less annoying.
- Unity certification for developers: Is it worth it? — Unity Certification can bulk up your CV as a Unity developer and help you stand out from the crowd.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
This week on the podcast we discuss some of the new camera tech coming to smartphones, and give our thoughts on a few upcoming devices. Listen to the whole episode below!
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a OnePlus 7 Pro?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.