Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: Breaking the Razr, killing the Fold, and some leaks
This week the Motorola Razr was put to the test, the bend test, and it came up short. Motorola responded that the testing was inaccurate, but you get to judge for yourself.
Google Maps was in the news over and over again, but they’re still not old enough to drive! Celebrating its 15th anniversary, Google Maps has a new coat of paint and features, and an artist took advantage of their algorithms to cause some serious virtual traffic problems.
Speaking of Google, there’s a new group of Chinese OEMs launching an app store all their own. They say they’re goal is not to compete with Google and the Play Store, but that is the inevitable reality.
A number of leaks show off what could be a Nokia 5.2 ‘Captain America’ phone, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and more.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- How many times does the Razr fold? – A test got less than half of the promised folds before the phone broke, but Motorola says “you did it wrong!”
- Escobar at it again – This new folding Escobar phone looks an awful lot like the phone it promises to kill.
- Hey Google, I want a remote – Chromecast is a slick tool, but it lacks one valuable accessory that all the competition offers, a remote control.
- Will you flip over this phone? – A quick hands-on video has appeared for the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip.
- Can super heroes save Nokia? – That was a stretch, but the leaked ‘Captain America’ Nokia 5.2 is more realistic.
- There are bad locks, and then there are… – Samsung Good Lock 2020 is available, for Android 10, One UI 2.0 and sideloading.
- It’s just a name – Retailers are often the source of phone pre-release information, this time we get the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro.
- Traffic jams everywhere! – Google Maps uses a simple algorithm to track traffic, easily fooled to put some red lines on the map.
- HUAWEI is the target, but other Chinese brands are playing defense – OPPO, vivo, Xiaomi and HUAWEI have a new app store, competition to Google?
- Apps and more apps in our Android Apps Weekly – NVIDIA GeForce NOW, Pico Tanks, Coronavirus and more apps hit the market this week.
From around the network:
- The best drones on the market today – Drone Rush
- Why is true wireless headphone connectivity so bad? – SoundGuys
Deals of the week:
- Our pick for phone deal of the week is the LG G7 ThinkQ for under $300 from Amazon.
Google Pixel 4 XL giveaway – Great screen, great camera, yours to win
This week, we’re giving away a brand new Google Pixel 4 XL smartphone. Enter this week’s Sunday giveaway for your chance to win!
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.