Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
It looks like an upcoming Poco phone will actually be the Redmi 9
- A TUV Rheinland listing suggests the next Poco phone could be a rebranded Redmi 9.
- The listing reveals that the new Poco phone and Redmi 9 share the same model number.
- The upcoming Poco M2 Pro has a different model number though.
The Xiaomi Redmi 9 launched in Europe earlier this month, bringing a cheap price tag and a powerful chipset for a low-end phone. We’re expecting the phone to launch in several other markets in the coming weeks and months, but it now seems like the handset might undergo a name change in some regions.
The outlet rightfully notes that the M2004J19 model number refers to the Redmi 9 series (with C, G, and I corresponding to Chinese, global and Indian variants). But why would the listing specifically call one of these models a Poco device?
Well, the only conclusion we can draw is that an upcoming Poco phone will in fact be a rebranded Redmi 9 series phone. We already know that Xiaomi is working on a Poco M2 Pro, owing to the firm’s own disclosure and certification listings. But the Poco M2 Pro reportedly has the model number M2003J6CI, which means it likely isn’t a rebranded Redmi 9.
XDA-Developers suggests that the rebranded Redmi 9 could be the Poco M2 though (i.e. not a Pro model). The Redmi 9 hasn’t launched in India yet, so this seems like the most likely launch market. But the Redmi brand is also mega-popular in India, so abandoning it for the Poco name would be an odd decision.
Either way, it looks like more Xiaomi goodness is on the way soon. You can check out more Xiaomi coverage via the links below.
- The Poco F2 Pro shows how macro cameras should be done
- Redmi Note 9 Pro vs Redmi Note 9 Pro Max: Which one to choose?
- Here’s why the Redmi 10X series should be on your radar
- Redmi Earbuds S review: Democratizing true wireless audio
- Mi Notebook 14 Horizon Edition review: A design-focused machine with drawbacks