Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: OPPO Reno's shark fin selfie camera is neat, but is a no-go
Urged on by customers, smartphone companies have done their best to eliminate screen bezel. While this has resulted in some introducing features such as notches, others such as OPPO, Samsung, and vivo have introduced motorized pop-up cameras.
Each company has taken on the pop-up mechanism in its own but relatively similar fashion. OPPO Reno’s camera module, on the other hand, slides up at an angle. This shark fin design is unique and differentiates it from the competition.
So we decided to ask you, are you a fan of the OPPO Reno’s shark fin selfie camera? Here’s what you had to say.
OPPO Reno shark fin selfie camera
Out of the roughly 23 thousand votes across the website, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, just over 50 percent were against the OPPO Reno’s shark fin camera and flash module. Similar to past polls, voters on the site were the only ones to differ from the rest of the pack as they voted for the unique design.
Looking through the comment section, it appears as those most aren’t actually against the shark fin design, but instead against motorized/moving pieces on smartphones. Just like what we’ve seen with the Samsung Galaxy Fold, pieces of debris can quickly get between moving parts and cause damage. Many fear that something similar would happen, causing the front-facing camera to no longer work.
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- Wonder what happens the first time you drop it on the top edge while the camera is extended? The current mania for bezel free phones is ludicrous. It offer no real world benefit. So you get a couple of extra lines of text on a web page. So what? And all the compromises that end up being made to achieve that are creating phones that are less functional, not more.
- I like the design, but had to vote nay because of no secure face unlock and no water resistance. I’ve gotten spoiled by no notch, no hole punch, better than average water resistance, stereo speakers, dual front cameras, and 3D face mapping.
- I think it looks good, tho a hole punch is better because it doesn’t have compromises like water resistance
- If durability isn’t a problem it’s much more preferable than a punch hole or water drop camera. However, we rarely use the selfie camera so we couldn’t care less if there is one at all. I’m guessing we may be in the minority in that sense. Although we don’t know anyone personally that does that every day or even every other day save for special occasions.
- I can see dirt getting stuck in there or scratching it up maybe the leaver gets broken it gets pulled on
- Why people hate things that are different? I think it looks cool lol I welcome all change
That’s it for this week, everyone. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below.