Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Beware! The latest Oxygen OS update could wipe clean your OnePlus 8, 8 Pro
- A stable Oxygen OS update is leading to a full data wipe of the OnePlus 8 series.
- The problem affects OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro devices running Oxygen OS 11 open beta 3.
- OnePlus has acknowledged the issue and has warned against upgrading.
OnePlus rolled out the stable Oxygen OS 188.8.131.52 update for the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro over the weekend. However, the software which followed Oxygen OS 11 open beta 3 is anything but stable. A number of open beta 3 users who received the update have reported that it’s causing a full data wipe of their phones.
Once the update is installed, users are asked to reboot their devices. When they do so, the data on their phones is completely wiped. Sadly, multiple users report that their phones were set to auto-update and they had no choice but to install the faulty software.
One user even tried to downgrade to Oxygen OS 10 and update back to Oxygen OS 11 open beta 3 in an effort to fix the problem. However, even with auto-updates switched off, the user reports that the phone self updated, asked for a reboot, and then wiped all the data again.
OnePlus, on its part, has acknowledged the problem. A staffer took to the company’s forums on Saturday, saying that the OnePlus software team is looking into the matter. The person also warned users against upgrading to the stable update.
“If you receive an update OTA, please double-confirm if it’s an open beta update. If it isn’t, please do not install it,” reads a notice on the OnePlus forums.
In the meantime, if you have already installed the update but haven’t restarted your phone, OnePlus recommends you follow the steps below to avoid data loss.
- Install this APK. You need to install it after the update was installed but before you restart.
- After the APK is installed, run the application, and tap “Keep Data.”
- You should now be able to restart the phone without losing your data.
OnePlus says users should still back up essential data before rebooting their phones after following the aforementioned steps.