Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: The OnePlus Nord is, indeed, hot
After what feels like decades of trickled teasers and leaks, the OnePlus Nord finally broke cover this month. While the company’s exuberant pre-launch efforts have come under scrutiny, there’s no denying that the phone is a tantalizing prospect on paper.
Balancing affordability with features has always been a tough cocktail for companies building modern mid-rangers. But is it hot, or not?
We asked you if you’d swipe right on the OnePlus Nord, and this is what you had to say.
OnePlus Nord: Hot or Not?
If we used a temperature scale, the OnePlus Nord would’ve set this poll on fire. Of the nearly 29,000 votes cast, just under 70% of you believe that the OnePlus Nord is “Hot.” That’s a decidedly clear victory for the company’s new mid-ranger.
It’s pretty clear why so many praise this device. It hits the mark on some key and trending specifications, including a display with a 90Hz refresh rate, a total of six cameras, up to 256GB of storage, and a dizzying amount of RAM in some guises. The Snapdragon 765G also strikes a good compromise between performance and price, perfect for a £379 device. Despite this, buyers also get a phone that can outperform the OnePlus 7T Pro in certain instances.
However, the Nord isn’t exactly a cheap phone. The 28.9% of you who voted “Not” berate the phone’s lack of an IP rating, wireless charging, and a headphone port. Its questionable selfie camera performance and reported screen tinting issues don’t help its case either.
The lack of a wide US release is likely another bitter pill to swallow for potential buyers, but this is largely a mark on OnePlus than the device itself. Arguably, the Nord also has a lopsided specs sheet, especially if you value battery capacity over the RAM or camera numbers.
Here’s what you had to say
- VJ: Hot maybe price wise. But not in the looks. That Left aligned huge pill cutout is a turn off.
- Tony Talks: North America gets some half assed limited beta release. Love the specs but with no availability I don’t care.
- AndroidBR: This phone could’ve been much better. OnePlus is still testing the waters on how little they can invest and still get away with, without putting too much thought in R&D, bill of materials, features and final asking price. I’m not too impressed with what they’re offering for the money here. Some key features they deliberately left out vs the price point they are choosing to sell this phone for.
- Andrew Zoo: No headphone jack no deal. Get a Galaxy A51/71 instead.
- Raj Bhatt: The poll is too simple. It’s hot in the fact that Google’s mid-range Pixel plans for 2020 will likely offer less value than the OP Nord. It’s not hot in the fact that some simple features like even a minimal dust or water resistant rating where skipped.
- Sahil Roy: OnePlus’s OS is the only differentiating factor between host of other Chinese OEMs, like OPPO, vivo, Xiaomi, realme. Personally, I will wait for Pixel 4a and get best camera out there. It’s beyond me why Google doesn’t get the hardware right in spite of such strong R&D and loads of money. The shiny plastic edge, low grade cameras apart from primary lens and camera which just about does the job, break the deal for me.
That’s it for this poll roundup. Thank you for your votes and comments. Be sure to let us know what you think about the results in the comments below!