Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: The S21 Ultra takes better shots than the OnePlus 9 Pro
The OnePlus 9 Pro launched with big camera ambitions. Wearing proof of its new partnership with Hasselblad on its back, the flagship appeared to be finally ready to tackle the likes of Samsung.
To understand how much OnePlus has improved its imaging credentials, we pitted the OnePlus 9 Pro against the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. Although we come to our own conclusion in this article, we wanted to hear your opinion. Which of the two phones takes the better shots? Here’s what you told us.
Which phone takes the better photos: OnePlus 9 Pro vs Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra?
Toppling Samsung’s flagship was always going to be a tough task for the OnePlus, and readers seem to think so too. Of the ~1,000 votes tallied, only 36.1% of readers thought the OnePlus 9 Pro took the best shots.
That’s arguably true for the OnePlus 9 Pro’s 48MP primary shooter, which packs excellent HDR and color accuracy performance. But the other sensors are little to write home about in practice.
That’s likely why just under 64% of readers feel the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra takes the better shots, albeit at a substantially higher price. That fee does get buyers more consistent performance across all lenses, though, despite oversaturation remaining a recurring issue.
Camera shootouts often generate more nuanced opinions than one-word responses, though. Despite the votes suggesting otherwise, the comments seem more partial to the OnePlus 9 Pro’s shots. Read some of the best opinions below.
Here’s what you told us
- Wongwatt: All this goes to show is that the S21 Ultra camera is nothing special despite all the gushing reviews from the mainstream press. If OP had put a periscope on this they might have challenged the very top, as it is they have a slightly overpriced and unremarkable phone. All the people up there who prefer the Samsung obviously have a thing for yellow because the color is way off, particularly on anything green.
- Arun Topez: Great comparison! I have to say I personally prefer most of the OnePlus 9 Pro shots, but a large portion of them are almost on par with each other with just color differences.
- Iceman89: I’d take the one with the more natural image, used to be Apple cameras that gave everything a yellow tinge, looks like Samsung are copying them.
- Legend Luna: Very impressive how not only does the OnePlus 9 Pro hold its own, but in my opinion it wins everything except for the night mode shots.
- Joe Black: It’s pretty simple for me. Not yellow = winner.
That’s it for our OnePlus 9 Pro vs Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra head-to-head. Thanks to you for your votes and comments. If you have any additional thoughts on the poll results or the camera performance of either phone, be sure to drop them down below.