Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Netflix is testing a new mobile streaming plan in India, including laptops
- Netflix is testing a new streaming plan in India.
- Called Mobile Plus, the tier offers users HD quality with computers as permitted devices.
- Priced at Rs 349, it’s cheaper than the lower quality Basic tier.
Netflix launched its first mobile-only plan in India earlier this year, asking subscribers for Rs 199 (~$2.67) to access its content through mobile devices at a lower resolution. Now, the company’s testing a new mobile-focused tier that adds support for HD video and computers.
Priced at Rs 349 (~$4.68), the plan is around 30% cheaper than the Basic tier which does allow streaming to TVs. The Basic tier however only offers viewers standard definition video, which does make the cheaper HD Mobile Plus plan an attractive option if screen size isn’t an issue.
Although the American streaming giant is nearing 200 million subscribers globally, adding more than 15 million in the first three months of 2020 alone, it still faces steep competition in India.
Its cheapest tier is still pricier than Amazon Prime Video which is lumped in with the retailer’s Prime package for Rs 129/month (~$1.73). Disney Plus Hotstar‘s Premium tier comes in at Rs 299/month (~$4), also a lower price than Netflix’s Mobile+ tier. There is a healthy dose of Netflix alternatives in India and other markets too.
“We want to see if members like the added choice this offer brings. We’ll only roll it out long-term if they do,” Netflix told Android Authority via an emailed response.
Looking for more streaming coverage around the website? Check out some of our picks below.
- The best streaming services of 2020 — Netflix, Disney Plus, and more
- The 10 best funny movies on Netflix to add to your watchlist
- 14 best websites to legally watch free movies online
- The very best movies you can watch on Disney Plus Hotstar right now
- Amazon Prime Video vs Netflix: Which is the better streaming service for you?