Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Moto X (2014) now updating to Marshmallow in India
In the past year, Motorola has changed rather dramatically. In addition to its new owner – Lenovo – the company has produced an unprecedented three Moto X products for 2015: the Moto X Style, the Moto X Play, and the Moto X Force. Compare this with the past two years which saw…the Moto X (2013) and the Moto X (2014). Aside from the product diversity however, another big change – or at least that which Moto owners worry has changed – is the company’s update policy.
While it’s not as quick as last year’s Lollipop update, those with the Moto X (2014) will be pleased to know that, at least for users in India, Marshmallow is now rolling out.
The update is Build 24.11.18.en.EU and is 884MB in size. As indicated in the above picture, contains Marshmallow which brings along with it “many new enhancements including in-app assistance with Google Now on Tap, battery-smart features, new app permissions that give you even more control, and more.” Specifically, the company lists the following individual points:
- Doze Mode — This new feature monitors your phone and puts it into a deep sleep when it’s not being used, which can extend battery life substantially.
- Now on Tap — We love Google Now, and it’s improved in Android M. Simply long press the home button to bring up the Google Now feature and display information based on whatever you’re doing at the time.
- Android Pay — Android M allows you to bring up Android Pay with a simple tap and easily make purchases without having to open a separate app.
- Direct Share — Share your photos, news, links, etc. with your favorite contacts easily and quickly.
- Simpler volume controls — A more intuitive way to control ringtone and media volume.
According to Motorola’s official blog in India, the following devices are also set to receive Marshmallow, some of which – such as the Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure (2015) – have already received it:
- 2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
- 2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
- 2015 Moto X Play
- 2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
- 2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
- 2014 Moto X in Latin America, Canada, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
- 2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
- DROID Turbo
- 2014 Moto MAXX
- 2014 Moto Turbo
- Nexus 6
- Moto X Force
- DROID Turbo 2
- DROID Maxx 2
- 2015 Moto E with 4G LTE in Latin America, Canada, Europe and Asia2 (2nd Gen)
- 2015 Moto G Turbo Edition (3rd Gen)
Those who read carefully may notice a small “problem” with the above list: with respect to the Moto X (2014) in the United States, only the Pure Edition will receive Marshmallow, not the carrier variants. While not new news in and of itself, the obvious reminder stands out still due to the fact that the DROID Turbo, another 2014 carrier product, will see Marshmallow. Adding insult to injury, news recently also broke that the Moto E (2015) would see an update in much of the world, but not in the US.
With this said and done, readers residing in India will no doubt be pleased to find that Android 6.0 is on its way to your devices. Please drop us a line in the comments section below to let us know how your update experience has been!