Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
The most popular song on Spotify isn't what you think it is
Since its launch in 2008, Spotify has established itself as one of the most popular music listening platforms of the modern age. Over the years, artists have grown their brands and personas by becoming popular on Spotify. Most of the time, they’d be paying attention to how popular their latest song or album would be with the general populace. Let’s talk a look back at the most listened-to Spotify song, as well as the most popular album and artist.
Read more: How to make your Spotify music sound better
The most listened-to song of all time on Spotify is "Blinding Lights" by The Weeknd. This track has accumulated over 3.3 billion streams on Spotify alone.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
What is the most popular Spotify song of all time?
As of February 2, 2023, “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd is the most popular song on Spotify of all time. Based on listens alone, “Blinding Lights” has accumulated nearly 3.4 billion streams since it was released on November 9, 2019.
What is the most popular Spotify album of all time?
Released on March 3, 2017, “Divide (Deluxe)” from Ed Sheeran is the most popular Spotify album of all time. This album contains the track “Shape of You,” which is the second most listened-to song of all time on Spotify. The album has accumulated over 10 billion listens.
Which artist is the most listened to on Spotify?
The most-streamed artist on Spotify of all time is Drake. As of February 2023, Drake’s music has accumulated roughly 53.5 billion streams across the board.
- Bad Bunny is the second most listened-to artist on Spotify. His work has accumulated 48.7 billion streams.
- Ed Sheeran is the third most listened-to artist on Spotify. His work has accumulated 39.8 billion streams.
- Taylor Swift is the fourth most listened-to artist on Spotify. Her work has accumulated 38.8 billion streams.
- The Weeknd is the fifth most listened-to artist on Spotify. His work has accumulated 38.2 billion streams.
Spotify’s top tracks by year
Spotify has kept track of the most popular songs on the platform since day one. Let’s review the most listened-to tracks of each year.
- 2022 — “As It Was” by Harry Styles (1.6 billion streams)
- 2021 — “Drivers License” by Olivia Rodrigo (1.2 billion streams)
- 2020 — “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd (1.6 billion streams)
- 2019 — “Señorita” by Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes (1 billion streams)
- 2018 — “God’s Plan” by Drake (1.1 billion streams)
- 2017 — “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran (1.5 billion streams)
- 2016 — “One Dance” by Drake (960 million streams)
- 2015 — “Lean On” by Major Lazer featuring MØ and DJ Snake (540 million streams)
- 2014 — “Happy” by Pharrell Williams (260 million streams)
- 2013 — “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- 2012 — “Somebody That I Used To Know” by Gotye featuring Kimbra