Mobile gaming has taken off in recent years, becoming a unique genre of gaming all on its own. The type of mobile games available vary greatly, from generic puzzle games laden with ads to fun shooter games from classic game series. There are quiet a few games that you can play with a controller, which makes the experience so much better.
If you already own an Xbox controller, you can save money and not buy a separate controller for your mobile games. We’ll tell you exactly how to use your Xbox controller on Android devices and enhance your gaming experience.
Which Xbox controllers can you use with Android devices?
You can use two different Xbox controllers with your Android devices: Xbox One controllers and Xbox 360 controllers.
Xbox One controllers, particularly the Bluetooth ones, are going to be the easiest to use with your Android device. With Bluetooth controllers, you just have to pair your device to the controller and you’re ready to go. Google added Xbox One controller support to Android 9 Pie, so Bluetooth controllers work the best; in a pinch, non-Bluetooth controllers will work as well.
If you have an Xbox One controller without Bluetooth connectivity or an Xbox 360 controller, you can still use both with your Android devices; the process is just a little bit more complicated.
How to use an Xbox One controller on an Android device
In order to use an Xbox One controller with Bluetooth connectivity, here’s what you need:
- An Android device with Bluetooth connectivity and Android 9 Pie or newer
- An Xbox One controller with Bluetooth
Follow these steps to get your Xbox One controller hooked up to your Android device in no time:
- Make sure Bluetooth is on and open the settings. You can do this a few different ways. The easiest way is to swipe down to see your quick-access menu items; you can press and hold the Bluetooth button to open up your Bluetooth settings. Or, you can also go to your phone settings and locate the Bluetooth settings that way.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to make sure it’s turned on; then press and hold the sync button on the controller (top left) until the Xbox button starts flashing. As soon as the light starts flashing, this means that the controller is in Bluetooth pairing mode. It’s ready to be connected to your Android device at this point.
- Go back to the Bluetooth settings on your Android device and pair the Xbox One controller to your device. You should see the Xbox One controller appear in the list of nearby devices ready to be paired. If it does not show up in this list, press “Scan” to search for the controller. When the device is in pairing mode, the Xbox button will be blinking; as soon as it has stopped blinking, it has been paired.
- Depending on the phone or tablet you have, you should be able to see the controller working right away. Test it out by using the directional pad and the buttons to navigate your device’s system.
- Try out your favorite game! Many games don’t require any special configuration before they’re ready to be played with a controller. Some games might require you to switch from touch screen input to controller input in the settings of that particular game.
If you’re not sure whether your Xbox One controller has Bluetooth capabilities, there’s an easy way to tell. Your controller has Bluetooth capability if the area around your Xbox button is part of the same plastic as the rest of your controller. If the Xbox button is part of a separate piece (and color) of plastic, then it does not have Bluetooth capability.
Here’s an example of what a Bluetooth capable Xbox One controller looks like.
How to use an Xbox 360 controller on an Android device
In order to use an Xbox 360 controller or a non-Bluetooth Xbox One controller, the process is a bit more involved. Of course, it’s still doable. And if you already have the controller, it might be cheaper to configure your current controller instead of purchasing a Bluetooth controller.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it work:
- A wired or wireless Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller
- An OTG, or “on the go,” cable
- An Android device that supports OTG cables
- An Xbox 360 wireless receiver (if using a wireless Xbox 360 controller)
For wireless controllers, here are the necessary steps:
- Connect your OTG cable to your Android device; then plug the Xbox 360 controller’s wireless receiver into the OTG cable.
- Pair the controller as you usually would and start using it. Your Android device should supply power to your wireless receiver, allowing you to pair it normally.
For wired controllers, here are the necessary steps:
- Connect your OTG cable to your Android device.
- Plug your Xbox controller into the open USB port of the OTG cable.
- Start using it with your favorite games!
The selection of games that support wireless controllers seems to typically be less than those that support wired controllers. Plus, when using Xbox 360 controllers in particular, most games won’t have an option for button mapping; this means you’re stuck with whatever the default button layout is for that game.
Which Xbox controller should I use with my Android device?
You can easily use any Xbox controller with your Android device. But if you’re able to get your hands on an Xbox One controller with Bluetooth connectivity, this would be the best option; it’s simple and fast to connect your Xbox One controller to your Android device. Plus, the controller will have support in Android 9 Pie systems and up.