Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to transfer your music from iTunes to Android
While music streaming services are taking over the market, many music lovers prefer to download and save their music locally. Apple’s iTunes is still one of the most popular ways to keep your music on your hard drive. The sad news is that it isn’t easy to sync your iTunes library with an Android device. This is obvious, as it’s an Apple product, and it works best with iPhones.
You’ll need to go through a few extra steps to get everything working between iTunes and Android devices. There are several ways to transfer your music from iTunes to any Android phone or tablet, which we’ve covered below. Check out the complete guide and decide which method is right for you.
The simplest way to transfer music from iTunes to Android is by moving the files manually. First, find the music file by opening iTunes, clicking the three-dot menu button next to the song you want to transfer, and clicking Show in Windows Explorer. Then, simply copy and paste the song or music folders into your Android device using a USB cable.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
Editor’s note: All steps on this tutorial were compiled using a Pixel 4a with 5G running Android 12, as well as a custom PC running Windows 11 and iTunes version 22.214.171.124. Keep in mind some steps might be different, depending on your hardware and software.
Copy your music files manually
The least technically challenging way to transfer iTunes music files onto your Android device is by copying them manually. All you need is a USB cable to connect your phone to your computer, and a bit of patience.
How to copy iTunes music to Android manually:
- Create a new folder on your PC desktop.
- iTunes stores its files in Music > iTunes > iTunes Media by default. Go there and find the songs you want to transfer. Alternatively, you can find a specific locally stored song by opening iTunes, clicking on the three-dot menu button next to the song you want to transfer, and selecting Show in Windows Explorer.
- Select and right-click the files you want to move and select Copy.
- Go to the folder you created, right-click in the empty space, and choose Paste.
- Connect your Android device to your computer with a USB cable. You may need to adjust your phone settings to transfer files via USB (the option should appear in your notifications).
- Go to the folder where you stored the music files. Select the songs you want to transfer, right-click on them, and select Copy.
- Navigate to the music folder on your Android device.
- Right-click anywhere in the folder and select Paste.
- Your music is now on your Android phone!
This method can be tedious if you want to copy over individual tracks rather than entire albums. Depending on which Android music player you use, you might also lose album art and track metadata. Keep in mind that iTunes uses .m4a files for songs, which means you need a compatible player, or you might want to convert the songs before transferring them to your Android device.
Sync iTunes with YouTube Music
The cloud has revolutionized the way people interact with their files, and music is no different. With YouTube Music, you can sync your entire iTunes library to the cloud and listen to it wherever you go. It’s by far the easiest way to sync a large number of files from iTunes to Android.
There are, however, a couple of important caveats. First of all, you will need an internet connection, at least for the initial setup. You might also need to use data for playing your music, as it will live in the cloud. You can download songs to play locally, though. Another issue is you’re capped at 100,000 song uploads, but that’s a very generous number most people won’t have a problem with.
How to transfer iTunes music via YouTube Music:
- Go to music.youtube.com and log in.
- Click on your profile image in the top-right corner.
- Select Upload music.
- iTunes stores its files in Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music by default. Go there and find the songs you want to transfer.
- Alternatively, you can find a specific locally stored song by opening iTunes, clicking on the three-dot menu button next to the song you want to transfer, and selecting Show in Windows Explorer.
- Select the songs you want to upload to YouTube music and click Open.
- The songs will upload and show up on your YouTube Music library. Enjoy!
Stream iTunes on Android with Apple Music
If you don’t want to abandon the Apple/iOS ecosystem entirely, then Apple Music is an excellent way to access iTunes on Android. There is no iTunes app for Android, but Apple Music is actually in the Google Play Store. Like YouTube Music, it allows you to stream your entire iTunes library from your Android phone or any other device by simply logging into your Apple Account.
Apple Music also allows you to stream 50 million songs and listen to curated playlists, but there is a catch. Unlike Spotify, there is no free version. To stream iTunes music to Android, you will need to pay a monthly subscription fee of $9.99. If that’s not a dealbreaker, here’s how to do it.
How to stream iTunes on Android with Apple Music:
- Open iTunes on your PC.
- Navigate to Edit > Preferences.
- In the General tab, turn on iCloud Music Library and click OK. If you don’t have an Apple Music subscription, the option won’t be there.
- Download the Apple Music app on your Android device.
- Sign in with your Apple ID. Your iTunes music should be available to stream.
If you’re not able to find your iTunes music, there are some ways to fix it:
- Make sure you’re signed into the same Apple ID on both devices.
- Update the app to the latest version on all devices.
- Refresh your iCloud library by going to File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library on iTunes.
Syncing iTunes and Android with a third-party app
Several third-party programs allow you to transfer your iTunes music to Android directly. One of our favorites happens to be the doubleTwist app for Windows. This application lets you transfer your playlists, music, and videos from iTunes to your Android phone.
When syncing files using doubleTwist, note that the copied music files will be stored in the music folder inside the internal memory of the phone or tablet.
How to sync iTunes to Android with doubleTwist:
- Install and launch doubleTwist on your computer.
- Connect your Android device to the computer. Make sure USB Mass Storage mode (or MTP) is enabled.
- Your device should be recognized automatically, which will trigger a syncing window.
- On the Music tab in doubleTwist, place a checkmark beside Sync music and select all the sections you want to be sent to your phone (playlists, albums, artists, and genres).
- Tap the Sync now button at the lower-right corner to transfer your music to your Android phone.
What happens to my iTunes music after transferring songs to Android?
Unless you proposedly delete your music, iTunes will continue saving your songs. You can also continue using it as your primary music player. You’ll just have to remember to transfer any new songs to your phone. This is, of course, unless you use the Apple Music method, which will sync your devices over the cloud automatically.
Is there a limit on songs I can upload to YouTube Music?
Yes, you can upload up to 100,000 songs to YouTube Music.
Can I upload music to YouTube Music using my mobile app?
No, you can only use the YouTube Music website to upload songs.
Is there an official way to transfer music from iTunes to Android?
Not really. The most “official” way to transfer music from iTunes to Android is to use Apple Music, given that you would be staying within the Apple ecosystem.