If you want to share someone else’s tweet, Twitter allows you to simply retweet it. If you want to share a Facebook post, you can just hit the “Share” button. But you might be wondering how to share an Instagram story to your own feed that you saw someone else post.
Although it is possible to share an Instagram story, it wasn’t that way for a long time. Unlike other prominent social networks, Instagram doesn’t encourage the sharing of existing content in an effort to keep your feed filled mostly with original stuff. It’s one of the ways Instagram differentiates itself from other platforms.
It wasn’t until June of 2018 that the company finally allowed for some sharing of stories, but even now it’s still very limited. That being said, it is possible, so let’s get into how to share an Instagram story!
How to share an Instagram story
The steps for how to share an Instagram story are very simple. However, there are two very significant limitations built-in that you need to understand before you start.
The first limitation is that Instagram will not allow you to share someone else’s story unless you are tagged in that story. Unfortunately, there is no way around this, at least as of right now. If you follow someone and they post a story without tagging you, you won’t be able to share it. Even if that person also follows you, you won’t be able to share a story without that tag.
More posts about instagram
The second limitation is that only stories from public accounts can be shared. That means if you are tagged in someone else’s story but that person has a private account, you can’t share it.
With that in mind, here are the steps for how to share an Instagram story, assuming the above parameters are met. Consult the screenshots after the steps for help!
- When someone mentions you in a story, you will receive a notification. Tap that notification and you’ll head to your direct messages.
- If you swiped away the tag notification, don’t worry: just open the Instagram app and tap the direct messages icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Once you are in the direct messages feed, you should see a thread from the person who tagged you in their story. Tap that thread.
- In the direct messages thread, you’ll see the story that mentions you. Above that, you’ll see a link that says “Add this to your story,” which you should tap.
- The story pops up with a blue background. Here, you can add stickers, text, or whatever else you like before it hits your own story.
- Once you’re ready, tap the “Send to” button in the bottom right. Select your own story and you’re done!
It would be really nice if sharing stories was more open-ended. For example, it would be great to share a story from a celebrity or influencer, in which you almost certainly won’t be tagged. Until Instagram makes that possible, though, you are stuck with these limitations.
Looking for other tips on using Instagram? Check out our roundup below!