Unlike phones, smart speakers aren’t always personal devices. In fact, it is very common for a speaker to be shared by multiple users in a household, and Alexa voice profiles are a fantastic addition to ensure that every user gets a personalized experience. In fact, Amazon’s Echo speakers can be trained to recognize up to 10 different voices.
Why should I add voice profiles to Amazon Echo?
Adding Alexa voice profiles enables a number of additional features to Amazon’s smart speakers. The most important is access to personalized shopping. With voice profiles enabled, each user can add products to their own wishlist or even make a purchase from their own personal account.
Additionally, the profiles enable personalized flash briefings for news and updates. Finally, if you use Alexa calling and messaging services, the setting lets individual users access their personal contact lists.
Finally, users can also listen to personal tracks from Amazon’s music service. Unfortunately, the Alexa voice profiles do not give you access to personalized access for other music streaming services like Spotify or Apple Music.
How do I set up Alexa voice profiles on Amazon Echo?
Setting up an Amazon Alexa voice profile is a straight forward process.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone
- Tap the menu button and head over to the Settings option at the bottom
- Now, go to Accounts and select the Your Voice option.
- You will be prompted to select an Echo device. At this point, it is advised to mute any additional Alexa speakers you might have around you.
- Simply follow the prompts asking you to read out four phrases.
- That’s it. Tap complete once done and your voice profile is ready.
Once you have set up your primary voice profile, it takes about 20 minutes or so for the data to synchronize across your Echo speakers.
How to add more Alexa voice profiles on Amazon Echo speakers?
The process to add additional Alexa voice profiles is similar to setting up your primary voice profile.
- You can either sign out of the Alexa app on your phone, ask the additional member to sign-in or ask them to install the Alexa app on their phone.
- Now, head to the Settings option as before and tap the Your Voice option under accounts.
- Your Echo device might prompt you to select an existing profile. Simply say that you are someone else.
- Like above, the speaker will ask you to repeat four phrases.
Once done, the additional voice profile will be created and added to the speaker. Alternatively, you can cancel the process at any point by invoking Alexa and issuing the cancel command.