Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to hide photos on an iPhone
Let’s face it — most of the time, there’s no good reason to hide photos and videos on your own iPhone or iPad. But if the need arises, here’s how to do it, and how to unhide that media later.
Open the Photos app, select a photo or video you want to hide, then tap the More (triple-dot) icon followed by Hide. Anything you hide is relegated to a Hidden album, which is usually locked.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to hide photos on your iPhone
- Open the Photos app.
- Select a photo or video you want to hide.
- Tap the More (triple-dot) icon, then Hide.
- Confirm you want to hide it.
Anything you hide is relegated to a Hidden folder, located under the Utilities section of the Albums tab. Normally it can only be accessed using Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode.
How to lock your hidden photos and hide them from the Albums menu
As long as you’re running iOS 16/iPadOS 16 or later, the Hidden album is locked by default. You can change this in either direction by going to Settings > Photos and toggling Use Face ID (or its equivalent for your security method). You’ll be prompted to verify your identity.
If you want to keep the Hidden folder out of sight, toggle Show Hidden Album under Photos settings. This can be flipped at any time without re-verifying your identity.
How to unhide photos on an iPhone
- Open the Photos app and select the Albums tab. iPad users may need to open the sidebar first.
- Scroll down, and select the Hidden folder under Utilities. If it’s not there, you’ll have to bring it back using instructions in the last section.
- Unlock the folder using Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode.
- Select the photo or video you want to unhide.
- Tap the More (triple-dot) icon, then Unhide.
Read more: How to share a photo album on an iPhone