Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to download apps on your Samsung smart TV
Smart TVs are a great way to bring all of your favorite streaming services into one place. Best of all, you don’t need any extra hardware to do so. If you’ve just picked up a new Samsung model, you might need some help getting it up and running. We’re here to help with how to download apps on your Samsung smart TV.
No matter what app you’re looking for, the process is the same across the board. Think of this as your first lesson in navigating Samsung’s smart TVs. Let’s get to it.
How to download apps on a Samsung smart TV
Before we get into the app store, you’ll have to connect your shiny new TV to the internet. You can do this either via Wi-Fi or by using an ethernet cable. Once you’re connected, grab the remote that came with your TV. Now, follow these steps:
- Press the Home button to open your main menu.
- Head left to the Apps option, accompanied by a small icon with four squares or dots.
- Enter the Apps menu, which is essentially an app store and settings menu rolled into one.
- You can choose from different categories, including Editor’s Choice and Most Popular if you want the basics.
- Navigate to the magnifying glass icon to open the search menu.
- Type the name of any app you’re hoping to download.
- Select the app in question and press the Install button.
There you go, one shiny new app for your Samsung smart TV. As we said, the process is the same for any app in the store, so rinse and repeat as much as you want.
How to keep your apps up to date
The Apps menu doubles as your settings control center, so you can manage your updates all in one place. Keep your trusty Samsung remote close at hand and follow these instructions:
- Navigate to the Settings cog in the top right corner.
- Find the Auto Update toggle in the top right corner and switch it to On.
That’s all there is to it. Now, your apps should stay up to date whenever Samsung or a developer rolls out a new version. We have one more tip for you, so keep reading for more customization.
How to add apps to your home screen
If you know that you want to keep an app handy, it’s a good idea to add it to your home menu. The easiest way to do this is as soon as you install the app. You’ll see an Add to Home button, which you will have to press once. If you missed that window, here’s another way to manage your home apps:
- Head back to the Settings cog in the top right corner.
- Navigate to all of the apps that you’ve downloaded.
- Find the app you want to add to your home screen and scroll down.
- Choose Add to Home under the app. You can also use this menu to delete the app.
Of course, you’ll see your three most recent apps displayed on your Home menu at all times. If you only plan to use three apps, this may be a sufficient option.
There you go, everything to get you up and running with plenty of apps on your Samsung smart TV. Don’t be afraid to try out new apps and delete the ones that don’t work out. If you run into problems with your TV, learn how to reset it right here.