Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to change the Ring doorbell sound
People usually like personalizing their smart home accessories, and that’s possible to a degree with Ring‘s flagship video doorbells. Here’s how you can change the sounds linked to your doorbell — when it’s allowed.
You can't change outdoor sounds, but if you have a Ring Chime speaker, you can change indoor sounds by navigating to Menu > Devices > [Chime name] > Audio Settings > Chime Tones in the Ring app. You can change tones for the app itself by going to Menu > Devices > [doorbell name] > Device Settings > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to change the Ring doorbell chime
If you’ve got one or more Ring Chime speakers, you can change how your doorbell chimes inside your house. Follow these steps in the Ring app:
- From the dashboard, tap the Menu (triple-line) icon in the upper left.
- Tap Devices, then the name of your Chime speaker.
- Choose Audio Settings, then Chime Tones.
- Pick the sound you want to use, such as one of Ring’s holiday tones.
- Repeat the process for each Chime in your home.
How to change the notification sound on your Ring app
If you don’t have a Chime, you can still have separate sounds for button pushes and motion alerts. In the Ring app:
- Tap the Menu (triple-line) icon in the upper left of the dashboard view.
- Tap Devices, then the name of your doorbell.
- Go to Device Settings > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones.
- Pick sounds for doorbell rings and motion alerts. If you have a Chime, you can customize its own sounds from here.
Can I change the outside sound on my Ring doorbell?
No, all you can do is enable or disable it, and it’s a good idea to leave it active so people know the doorbell was triggered. To us this seems like an oversight — after all, a Christmas chime is going to sound more festive to visitors than yourself, especially after you’ve heard it a dozen times.