Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How much is Apple TV Plus? Here's the info on its cost
Read more: The best original movies on Apple TV Plus
Here’s all the info you need to know about pricing for the boutique streaming service. If you think the cost is reasonable enough for the content you can watch, you can sign up for Apple TV Plus at the link below.
How much does Apple TV Plus cost?
The service is currently priced at $6.99 a month in the US, with a seven-day free trial. There is also the option of an annual subscription for $69.99.
The price is similar elsewhere and gives you access to the same library of titles in every region. See the full list of Apple TV Plus monthly pricing below, in local currencies:
- Australia: $9.99
- Canada: $7.99
- Europe: €6.99
- India: Rs. 199
- New Zealand: $10.99
- The UK: £6.99
Can I get this service for free?
Yes! All new Apple TV Plus subscriptions come with a seven-day free trial period. It’s not much, but it’ll give you time to assess for yourself whether you think the service is worth it. Don’t forget to cancel before the seven days are up to avoid being charged.
Currently, people who purchase new iPhones, iPads, Macs, Macbooks, and Apple TV products can also get this service free for three months. Previously, the offer was for a free year of Apple TV Plus with a hardware purchase, but that promotion is no longer offered.
You can currently still get an extended free trial via third parties though. If you sign up for select T-Mobile phone plans, you’ll get a full year of the service thrown in for free.
Is Apple TV Plus worth it?
Because Apple TV Plus is almost exclusively home to original titles, its library is pretty predictable and stable. That means it’s easy to decide whether it’s worth it for you, because your favorite show won’t suddenly move to a different service.
At $6.99 a month, it’s hard to argue with the value of the service. You don’t need to watch much in any given month to get your money’s worth. If you’re hoping to binge everything of interest and then unsubscribe, you can probably get through your watchlist pretty fast.
But, Apple does roll out plenty of great shows and movies regularly, so you may want to stick around for new seasons of your favorite Apple shows and even some Oscar-nominated movies. It won’t be a one-stop streamer to meet all of your entertainment needs the way bigger services like Netflix and HBO Max are, but it’s a quality addition to your streaming services at a reasonable cost.
What to watch
Since there’s relatively limited content on the service compared to other streamers, it’s fair to ask, “what should I watch on Apple TV Plus?” While you’re getting less overall bang for your buck with Apple regarding the number of titles available, it’s also a service with more hits than misses.
Below is a brief breakdown of the best movies and shows to watch on the service. For a more extensive list, see our comprehensive Apple TV Plus guide.
Best shows on Apple TV Plus
- For All Mankind: From the creator of Battlestar Galactica comes this smart and engaging drama about an alternate history in which the Russians put a man on the moon before America, changing NASA’s trajectory and making space the main battleground in the Cold War.
- Ted Lasso: An American football coach is hired to lead a British soccer team in this fish-out-of-water comedy about teamwork and second chances. Ted Lasso is one of Apple’s breakout hits for good reason.
- Servant: Master of suspense M. Night Shyamalan’s horror series is an underrated gem, following a family dealing with immense loss when a new nanny comes into their lives and gives them hope — with a few macabre catches.
- Dickinson: See the early days of Emily Dickinson’s life and career in this coming-of-age series that blends anachronistic modern touches with the true story of an American literary icon.
- Foundation: This long-awaited adaptation of Isaac Asimov’s science fiction classic is a thoughtful and thrilling adventure in a future when the fate of humanity is on the line.
- Severance: Employees at a mysterious company undergo a procedure to separate their work lives from their home lives.
Best movies on Apple TV Plus
- Wolfwalkers: A young girl befriends a shapeshifting child who can become a wolf, the very animal her father has been hired to hunt and kill, in this enchanting animated film.
- The Tragedy of Macbeth: With stunning performances by Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand, Joel Coen (of the Coen brothers) directs this adaptation of Shakespeare’s Scottish play.
- Greyhound: Starring Tom Hanks (who also wrote the screenplay), Greyhound tells the story of a US Navy commander who has to fend off submarine attacks until reinforcements arrive in the early days of World War II.
- CODA: This 2022 Best Picture Oscar nominee tells the story of a teen girl, the only hearing member of her Deaf family, as she pursues dreams of becoming a singer.
- The Velvet Underground: Using avant-garde conventions and reusing iconic footage of the time, celebrated filmmaker Todd Haynes charts the rise of The Velvet Underground in this terrific music documentary.
- The Banker: A drama inspired by true events about two Black businessmen in the 1950s who find creative ways to combat racism in pursuit of the American dream. It stars Samuel L. Jackson and Anthony Mackie.
For the 2022 MLB Baseball season, Apple TV Plus live streamed two games every Friday and that is expected to continue in 2023.
That’s everything you need to know about Apple TV Plus pricing. We will update this article if the company makes any changes to its pricing plans. In the meantime, will you be signing up for the video steaming service? Will you try to take advantage of three free months with the purchase of a new Apple device or longer free trials via third parties?