Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
(Update: starting in 30 minutes) Google Pixel event: live stream & preview
We’re less than five hours away from what shapes up to be the most memorable event in recent Android history. Android lead Hiroshi Lockheimer promised an unveiling that would rival the original launch of the mobile OS, and judging from the rumors, that’s not just empty hype.
We announced the 1st version of Android 8 years ago today. I have a feeling 8 years from now we’ll be talking about Oct 4, 2016.— Hiroshi Lockheimer (@lockheimer) September 24, 2016
Google is preparing to go head-on against the iPhone and Samsung’s high-end Galaxies. The Pixel and Pixel XL will be the first real Google phones, and the Mountain View company is going to make sure that customers know it. Other things to look forward to: Google Assistant, Google Home, a new Chromecast, and Android 7.1, Andromeda preview, plus any surprises that the leaks haven’t spoiled yet.
Google Pixel event live stream
You can watch the full Google Pixel launch event right here. Depending on your location, the live stream will begin at:
- San Francisco: 9AM
- Denver: 10AM
- Chicago: 11AM
- New York: 12PM
- London: 5PM
- Berlin: 6PM
- New Delhi: 9:30PM
- Singapore: 12AM
- Tokyo: 1AM
- Sydney: 2AM
What to expect
Here’s a brief rundown of all the announcements that we expect to see at the Pixel event today.
- Google Pixel and Pixel XL Google’s own-brand smartphones have already leaked extensively: 5 and 5.5-inch OLED screens, Snapdragon 821, 4GB RAM, 32 or 128GB storage, 12MP rear cameras, and 2,770 mAh/3,450 mAh batteries. Great specs, to be sure, but the price could dampen your enthusiasm. In any case, expect to see Google make a big deal out of them.
- Android 7.1 The prevailing expectation is that the Pixels will be loaded with Android 7.1, but Google promised to release a developer preview of the updated flavor of Nougat. That could mean the two phones could launch with Android 7.0, and Google would announce the 7.1 developer preview at the event today.
- Google Magic A Pixel leak revealed that the phones will be preloaded with something called Google Magic. It’s possible that Magic is just the marketing name for the Google experience – think Google Assistant and unlimited Photos storage. Or it could be something bigger, like the name of a Pixel-exclusive Android skin. We’ll find out soon.
- Daydream We look forward to more details about Google’s big mobile VR push, Daydream VR.
- Google Home Expect to see the full launch of Google’s Amazon Echo competitor, Home. Google teased it at I/O, but now it’s time for some actual availability information.
- Chromecast 4K The Chromecast is due for a refresh, and rumor has it the next version will be announced today.
- Google Wi-Fi Another hardware product we expect to see today is a smart router.
- Andromeda This one is a bit out there, but there have been rumors about a planned merger of Android and Chrome OS into a new operating system known internally as Andromeda. The new OS is to be released in 2017, but Google could use today’s event to preview it.
- HUAWEI Tablet Another shaky rumor claims that the Nexus line could live on through a new tablet developed by HUAWEI. In contrast with the leakfest surrounding the Pixels, we know almost nothing about this HUAWEI-made tablet, so there’s a chance we won’t get to see it today.
There you have it – Google certainly has a lot in store today, and we look forward to diving through everything in just a few hours. Join us, and let us know – what are you the most excited about?