Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Everything you need to know about Garmin Pay
The ability to pay for something using a phone or smartwatch is a lifesaver if you’ve ever forgotten your wallet. Plus, it generally makes the checkout experience faster. Like Apple, Google, Samsung, and Fitbit, Garmin has its own contactless payment solution. Whether you already own a Garmin smartwatch or are planning to buy one, here’s everything you need to know about Garmin Pay.
What is Garmin Pay?
At the store, a wave symbol on the card reader means it accepts contactless payments via supported debit and credit cards, phones, and smartwatches. All you need to do is select your card on your watch and hold your wrist close to the card reader to complete a transaction.
For some, security is major a concern, however, Garmin has done a good job in this regard. First, the company uses transaction codes every time you make a purchase to help keep the process secure. Card numbers are not stored on the device or on Garmin’s servers, and they’re not available to merchants. Instead, it relies on watch-specific card numbers. Secondly, three incorrect attempts at entering your device’s passcode will lock you out. If this occurs, you will only be able to change the passcode if you remember the old one. Finally, if you cannot remember your code, Garmin deletes your entire wallet to ensure your information stays safe.
Garmin Pay devices
Garmin continually adds digital payment support to additional devices. The wearables below currently support Garmin Pay.
- Garmin Forerunner 945, Forerunner 745, Forerunner 645, Forerunner 645 Music
- Garmin Fenix 7 series, Garmin Fenix 7S series, Garmin Fenix 7X series
- Garmin Fenix 6, Fenix 6 Pro series, Fenix 6S, Fenix 6S Pro series, Fenix 6X, Fenix 6X Pro series
- Garmin Fenix 5 Plus, Fenix 5S Plus, Fenix 5X Plus
- Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music, Vivoactive 3, Vivoactive 4, Vivoactive 4S
- Garmin Vivomove Style, Vivomove Luxe
- Garmin Venu, Venu Sq, Venu 2, Venu 2 Plus, Venu 2S
- Garmin Instinct 2 Solar models, Garmin Instinct 2 Solar Specialty models
- Garmin D2 Delta S, D2 Delta, D2 Delta PX
- Garmin Marq Driver, Marq Aviator, Marq Captain, Marq Expedition, Marq Athlete, Marq Commander, Marq Adventurer, Marq Golfer
- Garmin Legacy Saga and Legacy Hero series
- Garmin Approach S62
- Garmin Descent Mk2, Descent Mk2i, Descent Mk2s
- Garmin D2 Delta, D2 Delta S, D2 Delta PX
- Garmin Quatix 6, Quatix 6X
- Garmin Tactix Delta series
- Garmin Captain Marvel, Darth Vader, First Avenger, Rey
- Garmin Enduro
Also read: The best Garmin running watches you can buy
Garmin Pay banks and cards
You can use Garmin Pay at any payment terminal or card reader that accepts contactless payments, but you’ll only be able to add a bank or card that is supported. On the other hand, there are far too many to list here, which is a testament to how widely supported this feature is.
In broad strokes, you can use Garmin Pay in 66 countries, with hundreds of banks supported. You can find the complete list of supported banks and cards here. While the majority of them are in the US, Garmin is adding participating banks all the time. Below is a list of major US banks supported by Garmin Pay, however, this list is not comprehensive. Visit the link above to check on your specific bank.
- Bank of America: Visa
- Bank of America: Mastercard
- Capital One: Visa
- Capital One: Mastercard
- Chase: Visa
- Discover: Discover
- JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.: Visa
- PNC: Visa
- U.S. Bank: Visa
- U.S. Bank: Mastercard
- Wells Fargo: Visa
How to use Garmin Pay
Connect a device
- Download the Garmin Connect app.
- Pair you Garmin wearable with the app if it is not already paired. You will see an Add device option on the My Day tab if your device isn’t paired.
- You will see an icon of your device at the top of the My Day tab. Tap Garmin Pay. You can also access Garmin Pay from the Garmin Devices screen as well.
Add a card
- Once you open the Garmin Pay screen, tap Create Your Wallet.
- Set up a 4-digit PIN to secure your wallet. This will also be the passcode you will need to access your cards on the watch.
- Select a card type.
- Manually enter your card data including card number, expiration date, and security code. Scanning your card is also an option.
- Wait for a text message containing your verification code and enter the code. In some cases, you may need to call your bank’s customer service line to complete the process. After verification, wait for an alert on your Garmin watch indicating that Garmin Pay is active.
How to make a payment
- Press and hold the action button on your Garmin watch. Find and tap Garmin Pay (the virtual wallet icon).
- Enter your passcode.
- Swipe up or down to find the card you would like to use. The card you’ve used most recently will be at the top. Select your preferred card.
- Hold your wrist close to the contactless card reader.
- When your card is read, the edge of your watch face will light up and you will feel a slight vibration as well. You will also see a tick on your device’s screen confirming your payment.
That’s everything you need to know about how to use Garmin Pay. Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments.