A good playlist can deliver an adrenaline rush at just the right moment when you’re in the middle of a training session. Modern smartwatches often include the ability to play and store music, allowing you to leave your phone at home during a workout. If you happen to own a Fitbit smartwatch, we’ll walk you through how to set up Fitbit music services on your Fitbit Sense, Versa, or Ionic smartwatch.
Can I play music on my Fitbit?
First things first, not every Fitbit can play music. If you want to store music on your Fitbit, you will need a Fitbit Sense, Versa 3, Versa 2, Versa, or Ionic smartwatch. Note that the Fitbit Versa Lite does not support music storage.
With that in mind, there are multiple ways to add music to your Fitbit smartwatch. If you have a Deezer or Pandora account, Fitbit provides an app to synchronize your playlists offline. The other method requires you to have an offline library of music. Let’s explore both options.
How to put music on a Fitbit smartwatch
Transferring local music to a Fitbit is a fairly straightforward process that requires the installation of an app on your computer.
- Start off by heading over to fitbit.com/setup on your PC or Mac to download the Fitbit Connect app. Once downloaded, complete installation to proceed.
- Opening the app will prompt you with three different options. You cannot set up a Fitbit smartwatch using a desktop and will need to use the mobile app for that.
- Need additional help? Refer to our step by step Fitbit setup tutorial for more details.
- Tapping the Manage My Music tile will prompt you to login to your Fitbit account.
- Now head on over to your watch and swipe to the Music app. Tap the Transfer Music button to switch on Wi-Fi and make your watch discoverable to the app.
- Back on the desktop app, you will need to import an existing playlist or create a new one to beam it over to the Fitbit. You can tap the gear icon on the top-right corner to select folders that you want to import into the app.
- Once your playlists are set up or imported, tap the circle icon next to them to begin the transfer process. Be patient — this takes a while.
Your selected playlists should now be on your Fitbit. Time to pair your favorite Bluetooth earbuds and go for a run.
How to sync music from Deezer to Fitbit
If you’ve gone all-in on streaming music and don’t have a local music library, Fitbit provides a way to sync your playlists from Deezer. You will, of course, need a subscription for Deezer Premium to make use of this function.
- Head to the Music page from the settings menu in the Fitbit app.
- Select Deezer.
- Open the Deezer app on your watch to gain access to the activation code. Head on over to fitbit.com/deezer to pair the watch with your Deezer account.
- Login or register for the service. You will now be presented a list of playlists — both your own and those curated by Deezer — to sync down to your Fitbit.
- Select the playlist and sit back. This process does take some time depending on the number of tracks you’re trying to sync. Charging your Fitbit while syncing music is recommended.
How to sync music from Pandora to Fitbit
- Similar to the process for Deezer, head over to the Music page under your Fitbit’s settings in the Fitbit app.
- Select Pandora and tap on the login button.
- You will need to subscribe to the top-end Pandora Premium service to be able to download music to your Fitbit. A one-month trial is available if you want to give it a shot before committing to the service.
- Once you’ve logged in, you will notice that Pandora doesn’t have quite as many options as Deezer. The integration will let you choose up to three of your preferred stations. You may also choose playlists from Pandora’s Workout selection. Additionally, a Thumbprint radio station based on your listening habits is also downloaded.
How to stream Spotify on your Fitbit
Spotify streaming on Fitbit requires a Spotify Premium account, as well as the dedicated Spotify app that can be installed via the Fitbit mobile app.
- Open the Fitbit app on your phone.
- Tap apps.
- Under All Apps, you’ll spot the Spotify app. Tap to install.
- Now head on over to My Apps and tap the gear icon next to Spotify.
- Log in to your Spotify account.
Unlike some of the other streaming services, Spotify on Fitbit smartwatches does not offer an offline mode and instead acts more like a remote for streaming from your phone.
However, it does add Spotify Connect functionality which means that you can now use your Fitbit to control playback on any other supported device as well. Beyond that, the app lets you play music from your library and recently played, but won’t let you search for playlists.