Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to export your Google Allo chat history and media files (Update: Allo shuts down today)
Update, March 12, 2019 (01:13AM): The time has come for Allo to say goodbye, as a banner on the website revealed that it’s closing on March 12 (h/t: Android Police).
The banner also contains a link, showing users how to save their chat history. But it’s worth noting that you’ll need an Android device to save your history, as you can’t do this via a desktop. You can check out the full guide in the original article below.
Original article, December 10, 2018 (11:07AM): Google recently announced that its short-lived chat app Google Allo will cease to exist starting sometime in March 2019. If you use Allo, you’ll need to export Google Allo chat histories and media files before then, otherwise, you’ll lose them forever!
The guide below will show you how to save all your data from Allo before the shut down begins. Once you do, you’ll also want to find a new chat app to use in Allo’s place. For that, we recommend checking out our article, “10 best messenger apps and chat apps for Android.”
Follow along with us to learn how to export Google Allo chat and media files!
Export Google Allo chat and media files
For this process, you’ll need your Android device. Although Google Allo does have a web interface, you cannot export Google Allo data from a PC, laptop, tablet, etc. You must use your Android smartphone.
Please also note that you will have to back up your chats and media separately; there is no way to back both up at the same time.
Follow the instructions below to export Google All chat and media files:
- On your smartphone, make sure you are on the newest version of Allo by visiting its page at the Google Play Store.
- Open up Allo and tap the three-bar menu icon in the upper left.
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap Chat.
- At the top of the Chat page, select an option:
- Export messages from chats: This only includes message text, not photos or videos.
- Export stored media from chats: This includes photos, videos, and other files.
- Allo will ask you where you want to store your file(s) or how you want to share them with an app. Choose a location/service you will remember and be able to access later.
- Once you’ve downloaded the chat file, repeat steps 1 — 6 for the media file (or vice versa).
After your export of these files, you will have a .CSV file of your chats and a .ZIP file of your media. You can transfer these files to a computer which will allow you to easily open them, read them, re-organize them, etc.
There is one limitation to this process of which you should be aware: this will not back up your incognito messages. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this.
Also, be aware that when Allo does stop functioning, all your chat and media histories will be erased from Google’s servers. Backing up through this process will be the only way to properly save them!
If you have any issues with this process, let us know in the comments and someone will surely help you out.