Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Daily Authority: 📱 Meet the Samsung Galaxy S23 and Galaxy S23 Plus!
🥑 Good morning, dear readers. It’s the week before the storm that is the Pixel 7 and Pixel Watch launch on October 6. You’d think there would be a slight lull right about now, but that’s not at all the case. Two of the most important phones launching in 2023 just broke cover thanks to leaks. We’ve also got scoops about the upcoming Google hardware. So without further ado, here’s your daily news roundup.
Samsung Galaxy S23 and Galaxy S23 Plus break cover
It’s no exaggeration to call a Samsung flagship launch one of the most important events in the Android world, if not THE most important one. Every year, Samsung takes to the Unpacked stage twice to announce its latest smartphones. While the official launch of the first set of 2023 Samsung flagships is still months away, assuming Samsung would unveil them sometime in February, leaks have now outed two of those phones headed our way — the Samsung Galaxy S23 and Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus.
- Let’s start with the vanilla Galaxy S23, the new entryway into Samsung’s flagship lineup.
- The leaked renders of the phone come from trusted tipster Steve Hemmerstoffer, so they are likely to be pretty accurate.
- The Galaxy S23 renders (see above) show that it’s shaped similarly to the Galaxy S22.
- The biggest change is the camera module which now has three distinct cutouts for each camera lens. The camera island from the S21 and S22 days is gone.
- It looks like Samsung is trying to make its new flagships look more cohesive this time around.
- The Galaxy S22 Ultra stood out in this year’s lineup, and Samsung’s design changes might fix that distinction on the 2023 flagships.
- That said, we still haven’t seen the design of the S23 Ultra. However, we don’t think Samsung would stray very far from what’s in from of us right now.
- The leaker also shared some dimensions of the standard Galaxy S23, saying it would have a 6.1-inch display inside a body measuring 146.3 x 70.8 x 7.6mm. So not much has changed compared to the Galaxy S22.
The Galaxy S23 Plus
- The Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus adopts the same minimalistic back cover as the vanilla model.
- The camera housing has been replaced with three raindrop-style camera cutouts that sit flush with the body.
- The leaker claims the phone will have a 6.6-inch display.
- It looks as if there won’t be any changes to the selfie camera’s punch hole design, the USB-C port, or the speakers.
- Unfortunately, the leaks didn’t give out anything else apart from the design of the phones. You can head here to learn more about the upcoming Galaxy S23 series.
🙊 Amazon may have accidentally revealed the Pixel 7 price. Meanwhile, Google officially showed off all the Pixel 7 colors in a new design video. (Android Authority).
📱 On that note, what do you think Google will get wrong with the Pixel 7 series this time? (Android Authority).
📡 This Garmin device allows you to text from anywhere, even with no service (Android Authority).
🔋 YouTuber says Samsung phone batteries are prematurely swelling (Android Authority).
👩💻 Samsung reveals world’s first slidable display for PCs (SamMobile).
💻 Intel wants to help make Windows play friendly with both Android and iOS (Android Authority).
🦿 Tesla AI Day is coming on September 30: The company is hiring engineers to build a walking, talking robot that could be the star of the show (CNET).
🔌 All 50 states in the US get green light to build EV charging stations covering 75,000 miles of highways (CNBC).
Today’s Wednesday Weirdness section is dedicated to a whole bunch of weird yet hilarious disclaimers people found around the world. Folks over at Bored Panda have a whole collection of these for you to go through. Want a taste of what you’re in for? Read the poster above.
Have a fantastic rest of the week.
Adamya Sharma, Editor.