Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Daily Authority: 🎮 Skip this Android handheld
☕ Hey there! I ended up at a German-themed restaurant this weekend to watch the last race of the Formula 1 season. Here’s hoping for a much closer title fight next season. Our main story today is our Logitech G Cloud review, but we’ve also got a few more stories worth checking out.
Logitech G Cloud review: One to avoid
Android Authority colleague Ryan Whitwam bought the $350 Logitech G Cloud Android handheld roughly a month ago, publishing his review over the weekend. So what did he think of the cloud gaming machine? Well, let’s start with the positives.
- Ryan praised the design of the G Cloud, saying it was a little more comfortable than the Nintendo Switch and had a grippier back.
- He also noted that the analog sticks and triggers were decent enough here.
- Finally, our reviewer also felt the 7-inch 1080p screen was a “reasonable” choice, although it tops out at 60Hz.
- That’s about all the positives he had for the Logitech handheld.
- Ryan had plenty of complaints about the device, starting with the lack of Wi-Fi 6/6E support.
- This is a strange omission in light of the cloud focus.
- He also lamented the lack of mobile data connectivity, meaning you can’t always play cloud games on the go.
- The Logitech G Cloud also comes with an old version of Android (Android 11), but there’s more bad news for software.
- Our reviewer called the default launcher “clunky,” owing to the software hiding features like the notification shade.
- You can’t even multitask with this launcher.
- Thankfully, there’s a tablet mode UI too, but this makes the physical controls useless and has several UI glitches.
What’s the conclusion?
- Ryan concluded that you’re better off getting the Steam Deck for $50 more or a Nintendo Switch for $50 less.
- He also pointed to the upcoming Razer Edge handheld, offering much better specs for the price.
- Then again, you might not need a dedicated handheld in the first place.
- You can also pair a Bluetooth controller to your existing phone to enjoy a powerful, well-rounded experience.
- We’ve previously looked at the best Bluetooth controllers, and there’s certainly no shortage.
- Overall, my AA colleague felt Logitech should’ve stripped things back even more in the name of a cheaper cloud experience.
- I can see the logic in doing so, as a basic OS with a low-end chip and reduced specs could theoretically sell for much cheaper.
- We’ve seen smaller players like Retroid and Anbernic offer sub-$200 handhelds by taking this approach.
- Either way, there are better options out there.
- Me? I bought a dedicated Android handheld a few years ago but found that pairing an old phone with a Razer Kishi was better.
📱 The OnePlus 11 could have a surprisingly premium body (Android Authority).
🎧 Is lossless audio worth the data drain?: It’s also interesting to see how the different lossless streaming services vary in terms of data consumption (Android Authority).
🤔 This is how I get Google Assistant to understand unpronounceable town names: A great tip from AA colleague Rita El-Khoury (Android Authority).
🎮 10 years later, the Wii U is still deeply weird — and we love it (Ars Technica).
🌟 Smartphone ray tracing is here, but is it the real deal? (Android Authority).
🩸 Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes has been sentenced to 11 years in prison for fraud: She’s also been ordered to pay $121 million in restitution (Engadget).
💳 All the best Black Friday 2022 deals: It’s Black Friday week, and we’ve got a constantly updated hub of the best deals (Android Authority).
📷 Photographer versus Google Pixel 7 Pro: Can machine beat man at photo editing? (Android Authority).
☹️ Long-time Power Ranger Jason David Frank has passed away (Gizmodo).
🔉 The Nest Audio is my new relaxing white noise machine (Android Authority).
Reddit has played host to more than its fair share of controversies over the years, but I’m still inclined to agree with this meme posted to the platform.
Have a great week!
Hadlee Simons, Editor.