Google launched Android Auto seven years ago but was off to a slow start. The car infotainment system platform picked up speed once again after a major overhaul in 2019. The list of car manufacturers that support Android Auto continues to grow, with one of the final holdouts, BMW, joining the fray last year. Here’s everything you need to know about Android Auto in your BMW!
See also: The state of Android Auto in 2021
Which BMW models support Android Auto?
To use Android Auto in your BMW, it will need to come with Live Cockpit Plus. Android Auto is supported by every BMW with a Live Cockpit Plus or Professional that runs on iDrive Operating System 7. Models that will receive the update include:
- 4 Series 2021
- 1 Series 2020
- 2 Series 2020
- 5 Series 2020
- 6 Series 2020
- 7 Series 2020
- 8 Series 2019
- X3 2020
- X4 2020
- 3 Series 2019
- X5 2019
- X6 2020
- X7 2019
- Z4 2019
If you haven’t received the upgrade already, you will get an OTA update using BMW’s Remote Software Upgrade functionality. Most models in the list above will get the update in this way. However, if you have a 5 series, 6 series, X3, or X4, you can get the Android Auto update for your BMW via a software update at the dealership. You will have to contact your dealership to find out more.
Does my phone support Android Auto?
You can download the Android Auto app on most smartphones. However, BMW only supports Android Auto Wireless, so that restricts the list of compatible devices quite a bit. These are the requirements you’ll need to be aware of.
- Any with Android 11 will support Android Auto Wireless.
- If you have a Google or Samsung smartphone, you’ll also be able to connect to Android Auto in your BMW even if it’s running Android 10.
- A Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Plus, and Galaxy Note 8 with Android 9.0 are also supported.
- Your phone should be able to connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi.
- You will need an active data plan on your phone.
- Make sure that you’ve downloaded the latest version of the Android Auto app.
Can I use Google Assistant to control Android Auto in a BMW?
According to BMW, you can use Google’s voice assistant to control Android Auto in the following countries as of December 2020:
- Canada (English)
- India (English)
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
How do I connect my device to Android Auto?
Once you receive the update that enables Android Auto in your car, the process is really simple.
- Select Android Auto in the Drive 7 apps menu.
- Make sure that Bluetooth is activated on your phone, and remember to set it to visible.
- You can then follow the steps that pop up on the display and your smartphone to complete the connection process.