Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: The Biggest Tech Fail of 2019 Award goes to...
2019 brought with it awesome new technologies like foldables and 5G. Some brands hit their stride in 2019, and others tried their best to stay afloat. Some companies weren’t so lucky this year.
Facebook and AT&T also saw big fines in 2019 due to privacy and false advertisement issues, while Ring, OnePlus, and Samsung all had bad years for security. Oh, and Samsung’s first foldable phone was delayed due to faulty hardware.
It was a rough year for many. But which company wins the unofficial Biggest Tech Fail of 2019 Award? We asked you last week for your thoughts, and your opinion was abundantly clear.
Which manufacturer had the biggest tech fail of 2019?
Out of almost 1,600 total votes, 26.8% of voters said HUAWEI had the biggest tech fail of 2019. This was a really popular choice — the runner up this year goes to Samsung’s delayed Galaxy Fold launch with 13.7% of the votes. Facebook came in a close third with 13% of the votes for its Cambridge Audio Audio Analytica scandal.
From there, things drop off quite a bit. The fourth-biggest tech fail goes to Apple (8.3%) for canceling the AirPower wireless charger, and fifth place goes to Google (5.8%) for the Pixel 4 leaking in full ahead of its announcement.
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- I think the Pixel 4 with the small battery.
- Red was the worst by far. All that hype for absolutely nothing at all.
- Pixel 4 but not because of the leaks. It’s an overrated camera that is the only one this year without an ultrawide, has the smallest battery and unsurprisingly worst battery life, and very bad value for money
- Biggest tech fail is companies like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc cow-towing to China and helping them censor their citizens, all while claiming that they care about human rights and ‘progressive’ values.
- Saw the title and immediately thought: HUAWEI. Glad that was in the poll.
- Probably that whole WeWork debacle.
- Google’s iPixel lines of phones. It’s the flop that keeps flopping. At this point the most amazing thing about it is that it still hasn’t joined Google+, Google Glass and the others in the Mountain View graveyard.
That’s it for this week. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below!