Right on schedule, the August 2019 security patch is now available for Pixel smartphones. This is the second month in a row without a security patch for the Pixel C tablet.
As usual, the August 2019 security patch fixes several vulnerabilities found in the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) repository. These vulnerabilities range from moderate to critical. As it relates to Pixel smartphones, the patch also includes the following fixes:
- Saved Wi-Fi network configuration improvements (all Pixel phones)
- Wi-Fi CaptivePortalLogin stability improvements (all Pixel phones)
- Sleep mode improvements (Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL)
The August 2019 security patch is also available for the Essential Phone. The update doesn’t include Essential Phone-specific fixes or features, but it’s still nice to see Essential still care about the phone’s security.
August security update is now available for Open Market and Sprint users. Check your Essential Phone for the update. pic.twitter.com/Doc5I2Zvou
— Essential (@essential) August 5, 2019
You can download the factory images and OTA files at the links below. You can then either flash a fresh build or sideload the OTA file. If you’d rather take the normal route, go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> System update.
- Pixel 3a XL: Factory Image, OTA
- Pixel 3a: Factory Image, OTA
- Pixel 3 XL: Factory Image, OTA
- Pixel 3: Factory Image, OTA
- Pixel 2 XL: Factory Image, OTA
- Pixel 2: Factory Image, OTA
- Pixel XL: Factory Image, OTA
- Pixel: Factory Image, OTA