This week in Apple news we heard a rumor related to the names of the four devices in the main iPhone 12 line. Most of the names were totally expected, but the smallest iPhone might come with a “Mini” moniker, which would be the first time Apple’s used that term for an iPhone.
In other Apple news, we saw iOS 14 users finally get access to Gmail as their default mail app, news about a Mini-LED iPad Pro, some Apple TV Plus news, and more!
See the Apple news roundup below for all the latest.
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- iPhone 12 names: According to reliable leaker “L0vetodream” and corroborated from another leaker, Apple has allegedly decided on the names of the iPhone 12 devices. In order from smallest to largest, the leak suggests these names: iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. Most of those names were expected, but the “Mini” moniker is new. Originally, we expected the two smaller iPhones to be called the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Max. However, Apple might have decided against that to avoid brand confusion.
- Gmail is now a default option for iPhones: If you have iOS 14, welcome to 2008! We say that because you can now set the Gmail app as your default email client in iOS 14, something iPhone users couldn’t do before but Android users have been doing for over a decade.
- Next iPad Pro could have Mini-LED: According to Ming-Chi Kuo, an upcoming model of the iPad Pro could be the first Apple product to feature Mini-LED technology within the display. What is this and why is it a big deal? We’re glad you asked because we have a full explainer here.
- Coalition of App Fairness: Spotify, Epic Games, and Tile have started a new organization that specifically highlights the issues developers have with Apple. The non-profit organization aims for “freedom of choice and fair competition across the app ecosystem.” Read more about it here.
- Apple’s Solo Loop band off to a rocky start: The new Solo Loop watch band that debuted with the Apple Watch Series 6 is not faring so well. Users are reporting that it’s either too tight or too loose and, at first, Apple made people return the band and the watch for ill-fitting problems. Now, though, Apple is just accepting Solo Loop returns.
- Apple TV Plus wins its first Emmy: Thanks to Billy Crudup’s performance in the Apple TV Plus original “The Morning Show,” Apple now has an Emmy. Crudup won the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series award, which is also his first Emmy.
- Apple picks up a new show directed by Ben Stiller: In other Apple TV Plus news, there will soon be a new half-hour comedy series on the streaming network directed by Ben Stiller and starring Patricia Arquette. “High Desert” will center on a former addict (Arquette) who decides to re-evaluate her life after the death of her mother. She then becomes a private investigator. Sounds…wacky? We’re not sure how to feel about this one.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are reading this Apple news article on an iOS device and thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.