Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Apple: iPhone 12 reviews, unboxings, teardowns, spec confirmations
This week in Apple news we saw the official release of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro. With those releases come tons of unboxings, reviews, teardowns, etc. We now know a lot more about the two most recent iPhone releases than we did last week.
In other Apple news, we got some info about Qualcomm modems accidentally through Apple and heard about a legendary holiday movie that will see an exclusive stay at Apple TV Plus.
See the Apple news roundup below for all the latest.
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro early impressions: This week, iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro units started making their way to reviewers. There are tons of early impressions and unboxing videos out there to peruse. The good folks over at MacRumors have collected a bunch of them in one place. Stay tuned for Android Authority’s review of the iPhone 12 soon!
- Battery capacities of all iPhone 12 models confirmed: Strangely, Apple doesn’t divulge battery capacities or RAM specs for its iPhones. As such, those stats can only be confirmed by third-party testers. Well, we now know the battery capacities for all the iPhone 12 models. The iPhone 12 Mini has a 2,227mAh battery, the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro have the same 2,815mAh battery, and the iPhone 12 Pro Max has a 3,687mAh battery.
- Two-minute teardown: If you want to watch someone take apart an iPhone 12, you can see it all in under two minutes. Check out this tweet for the fast-playing video.
- Qualcomm modems confirmed for iPhones: While we were totally certain Apple would use the Qualcomm X55 modem in its first 5G iPhones, teardowns have confirmed it. Apple ceased all its litigation against Qualcomm to get access to the modems, so it was assured that would be the case.
- Speaking of Qualcomm modems…whoops: An Apple-Qualcomm settlement filing confirms that the next Qualcomm 5G modem will be the X60, which we expected. However, the filing goes much further than that and confirms an X65 and X70, which both haven’t been confirmed yet. While it doesn’t take a genius to infer what Qualcomm will call its future mobile modem chips, it’s definitely a “whoopsie” to put it in the filings.
- DS/DS on iPhone 12 won’t support 5G yet: When you get your 5G-powered iPhone 12, you’ll have a physical SIM card slot and eSIM support. You can use both SIMs for what’s known as “dual SIM, dual standby.” This is useful for having two phone lines on one iPhone. However, you won’t be able to access 5G networks with DS/DS on the iPhone 12 models when you get them. A future software update will switch this on.
- Apple TV Plus gets Peanuts holiday films: The Charlie Brown classics A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Charlie Brown Christmas will stream exclusively on Apple TV Plus this year. This is a big get for Apple as many families traditionally watch these films every year.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are reading this Apple news article on an iOS device and thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.