Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Apple: The top news from Android's main competitor
This week in Apple news we saw some more leaks related to how the upcoming 2019 iPhones could look, including the shape/layout of the rear triple camera and the supposed colors of the updated iPhone XR. We also learned about how Apple could be in some legal trouble regarding the App Store and saw the first Apple Cards rolling out to company employees.
See the roundup below for all the latest!
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- New iPhone designs: The latest 2019 iPhone leaks once again show a square camera bump with one or two lenses inside, depending on the iPhone model. This configuration is becoming quite controversial, due to its radical change from previous iPhone designs.
- New iPhone XR colors: Some broken bits of glass allegedly suggest that the 2019 version of the iPhone XR will have two new colorways: green and lavender. These colors will supposedly replace the existing blue and coral colors, while white, black, yellow, and (PRODUCT)RED will stick around.
- Apple Card rolling out: The Apple Card — the first physical credit card from the company — is starting to roll out to Apple employees. Some photographs of the card and how it will be delivered to consumers hit the internet early in the week.
- App Store has a monopoly?: Some iPhone users want to sue Apple over the perceived monopoly the Apple App store has. The Supreme Court this week agreed that any class action lawsuits against the App Store can continue.
- No Apple 5G modems until 2025: According to some new reports, Apple’s self-made 5G modems for the iPhone won’t be landing anytime soon, which is likely the primary reason the company settled all its legal disputes with Qualcomm.
- Apple market share holds, but is starting to slip: According to Canalys, Apple is still the top dog as far as smartphone market share in North America goes. However, the company saw a dramatic dip of 19 percent in the number of units shipped, which doesn’t bode well for the future.
- Apple’s most ambitious store opens in D.C.: The Apple Store at the Carnegie Library in Washington, D.C., opened its doors for the first time recently. This massive Apple Store is one of the company’s most important new locations.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are currently an Apple user thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.