Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Apple: iPhone 12 spec rumors rolling in, Apple headphones as well
This week in Apple news we found out some new rumors related to the specs of the upcoming iPhone 12 series. We now have a good idea of what the display refresh rate of the devices might be as well as the starting storage configuration.
In other Apple news, we got some new info related to Apple’s rumored over-ear headphones, a new low-cost iPad, the upcoming health capabilities of Watch OS 7, some new DxOMark scores related to iPhones, and more!
See the Apple news roundup below for all the latest.
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- iPhone 12 spec rumors are rolling in: The two most notable iPhone spec rumors we heard this week are that the phones might feature 120Hz display refresh rates (which Apple brands as ProMotion) and that the lowest-tier iPhone 12 might have 128GB of internal storage. That last one would be a notable upgrade, considering even last year’s iPhone 11 series started at 64GB.
- Apple’s over-ear headphones might be called AirPods Studio: We fully expect Apple to release a set of self-branded headphones either this year or in 2021. Now, rumors point to the new ‘phones to be titled AirPods Studio and start at $349. This would put them in direct competition with the popular Sony WH-1000XM3 and Bose Noise-Cancelling headphones.
- A new low-cost iPad might be on the way: Apple could make a run for the cheap tablet market this year with a new low-cost iPad. The device will reportedly have the older A12 processor on board. There’s no idea of pricing quite yet, but considering the apparent success of the iPhone SE so far, a cheap iPad companion makes perfect sense.
- New health capabilities might be coming to Watch OS: The upcoming Watch OS 7 might feature a new trick: panic attack detection. The next Apple Watch Series 6 might have a blood oxygen sensor that would allow the software to detect things like panic attacks.
- Apple buys a virtual reality company: Apple confirmed to Bloomberg that it has recently acquired the virtual reality company NextVR. The deal is reportedly worth $100 million. It is likely Apple views this as a strategic acquisition to help launch its AR glasses, which we expect soon. Speaking of which…
- AR glasses from Apple could land in 2021 for 2022 sale: It’s been established that Apple is working on several virtual/augmented reality projects, the largest of which is AR glasses. According to a frequently-correct leaker, those glasses could finally see a launch as early as next year, although you probably won’t be able to buy them until much later.
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus beats iPhone 11 Pro Max camera: According to venerable photography reviews site DxOMark, the Galaxy S20 Plus can outshoot the iPhone 11 Pro Max. The 11 Pro Max also got a so-so selfie camera rating from the DxOMark team, putting it well below the Android competition at comparable price points.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are reading this Apple news article on an iOS device and thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.