Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Apple: The top news from Android's main competitor
The week in Apple news featured some new iPhone 11 leaks, some info about how Apple is not on top of the brand rankings anymore, rumors of some new MacBooks coming, and even some news about how to play the 2016 version of the video game Doom on an iOS device (for free!).
Overall, the week was fairly quiet though, mostly due to WWDC 2019 being so active the week before. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t some interesting new info to share!
See the Apple news roundup below for all the latest!
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- Take a look at some leaked 2019 iPhone 11 cases: We won’t see the official launch of the 2019 crop of iPhones until September, but we already have a pretty good idea of what they will look like. Now, via some leaked case molds, we have even more information to suggest that the iPhone 11 (or iPhone XI) will feature a square camera module on the rear (kind of like another 2019 phone we’ll see soon).
- New MacBooks coming this fall: Apple has registered some new MacBooks with the EEC (Eurasian Economic Commission) which strongly suggests we’ll see some refreshed MacBooks sometime in 2019.
- Apple could buy part of Intel’s modem business: If you haven’t been following along, Apple and Intel have a very strenuous relationship at the moment. However, it seems that Apple is still in talks to buy some of Intel’s modem business, which could be good news for Intel (maybe?).
- Tim Cook meets with President Trump for unknown reasons: It appears Apple CEO Tim Cook spent part of Thursday meeting with President Donald Trump. It’s not clear what was discussed, but it’s likely it was about tariffs on Chinese-made goods, of which Apple is dependent on.
- Bethesda wants you to test out Doom (2016) on iOS for free: Bethesda is testing a new game-streaming service on iOS called Orion. To entice in beta testers, the company is offering gamers the chance to play the 2016 version of Doom on iOS devices. All you need to do is click here to register.
- Amazon is now the world’s most valuable brand: According to the BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands list, Apple is no longer top dog. Amazon jumped over Apple to take the number one spot, which leaves Apple in second and Google in third.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are currently an Apple user thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.